Which timezone?

  • Phil Gyford
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2013
      Hi,

      In the API, what timezone are the dates/times in? The `created` fields, for example, don't have any timezone offset, so it's not very clear.

      I want to know so that I can do something like, find all votes within the past 24 hours... which is tricky if I don't know what time the API thinks 24 hours ago was.

      Many thanks,
      Phil Gyford
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2013
        Thanks for the question, Phil.

        It is the local time as the event was recorded by Congress, so U.S.
        Eastern (UTC-5/-4).

        I'll update the documentation.

        On 08/14/2013 09:16 AM, Phil Gyford wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > In the API, what timezone are the dates/times in? The `created` fields, for example, don't have any timezone offset, so it's not very clear.
        >
        > I want to know so that I can do something like, find all votes within the past 24 hours... which is tricky if I don't know what time the API thinks 24 hours ago was.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > Phil Gyford

      • Phil Gyford
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2013
          Great, thanks for the clarification Josh!

          > Thanks for the question, Phil.
          >
          > It is the local time as the event was recorded by Congress, so U.S.
          > Eastern (UTC-5/-4).
          >
          > I'll update the documentation.
          >
          > - Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)
          >
          > http://razor.occams.info
          >
          > On 08/14/2013 09:16 AM, Phil Gyford wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > In the API, what timezone are the dates/times in? The `created` fields, for example, don't have any timezone offset, so it's not very clear.
          > >
          > > I want to know so that I can do something like, find all votes within the past 24 hours... which is tricky if I don't know what time the API thinks 24 hours ago was.
          > >
          > > Many thanks,
          > > Phil Gyford

        • Stephen Jaynes
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 17, 2013
            Is there any chance that you will append a created date and modified date to the apis that you maintain?  This would be helpful especially for mobile apps that make use of your data.  I'd like my app to be able to download only data that has been created/modified since the last time it downloaded data.

            Best regards,

            Steve Jaynes
            714-717-1350

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 24, 2013
              Probably not any time soon. It's complicated because the API result may pull in data from multiple sources.

              If you're trying to keep a large amount of data updated, it's alway been recommended to use the bulk data instead.