bulk bill data retrieval

  • davem1901
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2013
      First can't give enough praise to GovTrack and the phenomenal work they do. Been using the site for a few years now but have only recently expanding my use of it.

      Bulk data from the site is very new to me and I was finally able to pull the data I wanted, in basically the format I wanted. That was in January. I started pulling the data every month or so and when I put in the link, it was great, it opened a download window and I would save the file as a CSV. Easy to work with.
      Recently, I don't know if GovTrack has changed, I am doing something different or if the browsers have changed but when I paste the link into any of my browsers, I only get some of the information and no longer the ability to receive it as a CSV but just displayed as text in the browser window.
      Finally the question: Is this the new normal? Or is there a new way to retrieve the data in a CSV file?

      Thanks
      Dave Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2013
        Hi, Dave.

        As for the download starting automatically, it's the new normal. I found that annoying whenever I have to test that the API is working, or when I'm trying to craft API URLs to get the results I want. (So, yeah, I kind of design the API for me and hope that it works OK for everyone else! :-)

        You should be able to do File -> Save to save the file. That should yield the same file as before.

        There's also an as-yet-undocumented output format option to force a download. If you change format=csv to format=csv:attachment it will have exactly the same behavior as before (with respect to downloading).

        For not getting all of the results, that's possibly just how it's been. You'll get up to 100 rows by default. To get more, just set the limit parameter (e.g. ....&limit=1000). More at http://www.govtrack.us/developers/api.

        If you use the API for anything interesting please let us know!

        Best, and thanks for the feedback,

            govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
            govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/