Bill summaries in data files but not in the API

  • joechellman
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
      Greetings,

      I'm new to the API. It's really handy, but I have a question: are bill summaries left out of the Bill API intentionally?

      Comparing the raw data file to the same bill returned by the API:

      http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/113/bills/h624.xml
      http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/bill?bill_type=house_bill&number=624&congress=113

      There's no summary. I could use the XML file directly, but I'm hoping to stick with JSON for what I'm building. Is the summary absent to save bandwidth?

      Thanks!
      Joe
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
        Hi,

        The summaries can get quite long. Summaries for appropriations bills are
        longer than most bills. It doesn't really make sense to put this in the
        same API.

        I don't even load the summaries into my database, I just read it from
        disk when it's needed. So it's not really API-able.

        On 04/07/2013 04:44 PM, joechellman wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm new to the API. It's really handy, but I have a question: are bill summaries left out of the Bill API intentionally?
        >
        > Comparing the raw data file to the same bill returned by the API:
        >
        > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/113/bills/h624.xml
        > http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/bill?bill_type=house_bill&number=624&congress=113
        >
        > There's no summary. I could use the XML file directly, but I'm hoping to stick with JSON for what I'm building. Is the summary absent to save bandwidth?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Joe

      • Eric Mill
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
          If it's helpful, the Sunlight Congress API does have the official LOC-written bill summaries available as JSON. Josh is right on that the summaries can be very huge though - so if you use our Congress API, you'll have to specifically request the field, it's not returned by default.

          -- Eric

              govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
              govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/