Re: Vote API disabled for the moment

  • maplight_kent
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
      Thanks.

      I looked on the GovTrack site, but couldn't find docs for V2. If there are, would you mind pointing me to them?

      I'm having trouble filtering.

      URLs like this are returning "Invalid field name for filter: congress"

      * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?congress=113&related_bill__number=273&related_bill__bill_type=house_bill&limit=50

      * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?congress=113

      * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?congress=1

      * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?related_bill__congress=113

      * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?number=1

      Bottom line is I'm looking for votes for specific bills, and for latest roll votes (so, filtered by roll number or date >= xyz).
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2013
        I looked on the GovTrack site, but couldn't find docs for V2.  If there are, would you mind pointing me to them?

        Haven't done it yet.

        Bottom line is I'm looking for votes for specific bills

        Instead of filtering on bill congress/type/number, just use the bill ID:

        http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote?related_bill=73152

        You should be able to get the bill ID from the bill API first by filtering on congress/type/number.

        The original is not permitted in V2 because it's not smart enough to know the database can answer that quickly.

        , and for latest roll votes (so, filtered by roll number or date >= xyz).

        Sorting by date should work the same as before:

        http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote?created__gt=2013-01-01

        I've just fixed it so you can filter by the congress field:

        http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote?congress=113

        number still doesn't work. I'll have to look at it next week. To be smart, it should only allow number if congress is also used as a filter --- otherwise the db query won't use an index.

        Sorry about the confusion.

        On 02/21/2013 07:32 PM, maplight_kent wrote:

        Thanks.

        I looked on the GovTrack site, but couldn't find docs for V2.  If there are, would you mind pointing me to them?

        I'm having trouble filtering.

        URLs like this are returning "Invalid field name for filter: congress"

        * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?congress=113&related_bill__number=273&related_bill__bill_type=house_bill&limit=50

        * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?congress=113

        * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?congress=1

        * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?related_bill__congress=113

        * http://www.govtrack.us/api/v2/vote/?number=1

        Bottom line is I'm looking for votes for specific bills, and for latest roll votes (so, filtered by roll number or date >= xyz).

            govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
            govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • mcafeeryan92
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
          Hi,

          What's going on with the vote_voter functionality? Is there some equivalent available in v2, or is v1's functionality going to work soon or is it changed? Thanks so much!

          -Ryan

          > Someone's queries to the votes API were bringing down my whole server,
          > so I've disabled the two votes endpoints for the moment.
          >
          > MySQL wasn't optimizing a query very well, to say the least.
          >
          > --
          > - Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)
          >
          > http://razor.occams.info

        • Maurizio
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
            Hello Josh,

            first, thank you for your awesome work.
            I wanted to ask if you'll enable vote_voter for v2 as well :)

            Cheers,
            Maurizio

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
              Ok it's enabled now.

              The 'option' filter doesn't work the same. You can pass the ID of an
              option object, which you can get from the vote API.

              I'll try to add documentation this week.

            • Maurizio
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                Thanks Josh, I can see it now. You rock.

                Maurizio

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Documentation for the v2 API is up:

                  http://www.govtrack.us/developers/api

                  FYI, v2 also adds full text search for bills (and people).