Re: [govtrack] Current politicians (national & state) Facebook / Twitter

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
      For the U.S. Congress- https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators

      I don't know about other sources.

      On 02/10/2013 04:06 PM, jdchangmedia wrote:
      Is there a list anywhere that has the Facebook and Twitter names for all current politicians? (both national and state level)?

      Thanks!

          govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
          govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Eric Mill

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
          This is great, thanks!

          But the Twitter data here is much more robust than the FB pages?

          Who updates this data....the congressional offices themselves?

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Eric Mill wrote:

          > And, a caveat - that doesn't track accounts for political campaigns, just
          > members in their official legislative capacity. The Twitter accounts have
          > been kept up to date and to these standards with the most rigor.
          >

          > On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:
          >

          > > For the U.S. Congress-
          > > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators
          > >
          > > I don't know about other sources.
          > >
          > > - Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)
          > > http://razor.occams.info
          > >
          > > On 02/10/2013 04:06 PM, jdchangmedia wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there a list anywhere that has the Facebook and Twitter names for all current politicians? (both national and state level)?
          > >

          > > Thanks!

          > Developer | sunlightfoundation.com

        • Eric Mill
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 10, 2013
            Yeah, the Twitter data is more robust. But no, this data is maintained unofficially.

            The contents of legislators-social-media.yaml originally comes from a mixture of curated data by Sunlight and GovTrack, and it's now maintained by us and anyone who wants to help out. On Sunlight's end, our data for Twitter and YouTube were taken mostly from having shown up on official member websites. For Facebook, I'm actually not sure. We did some updates during the 111th and 112th Congresses based on looking through source code for member sites, and then checking each one on Twitter to make sure it's not a campaign account.

            Since we merged the two, I've taken the time to write a new script that scans member websites for new accounts, and used it to make our Twitter data timely and high quality. No one's yet done this for Facebook or YouTube accounts, but we have the process to do so ready.

            -- Eric

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 11, 2013
              The work you guys have done is pretty impressive, thanks for doing this.

              When do you think you'll implement the Facebook scraper?

              --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Eric Mill wrote:

              > Yeah, the Twitter data is more robust. But no, this data is maintained
              > unofficially.
              >
              > The contents of legislators-social-media.yaml originally comes from a
              > mixture of curated data by Sunlight and GovTrack, and it's now maintained
              > by us and anyone who wants to help out. On Sunlight's end, our data for
              > Twitter and YouTube were taken mostly from having shown up on official
              > member websites. For Facebook, I'm actually not sure. We did some updates
              > during the 111th and 112th Congresses based on looking through source code
              > for member sites, and then checking each one on Twitter to make sure it's
              > not a campaign account.
              >
              > Since we merged the two, I've taken the time to write a new
              > script that
              > scans member websites for new accounts, and used it to make our
              > Twitter data timely and high quality. No one's yet done this for Facebook
              > or YouTube accounts, but we have the process to do so ready.
              >
              > -- Eric
              >

              > On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM, jdchangmedia wrote:
              >
              > > This is great, thanks!
              > >

              > > But the Twitter data here is much more robust than the FB pages?
              > >
              > > Who updates this data....the congressional offices themselves?
              > >

              > > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Eric Mill wrote:
              > > >
              > > > And, a caveat - that doesn't track accounts for political campaigns, just
              > > > members in their official legislative capacity. The Twitter accounts have
              > > > been kept up to date and to these standards with the most rigor.

              > > all current politicians? (both national and state level)?

              > > > --
              > > > Developer | sunlightfoundation.com

              > Developer | sunlightfoundation.com

            • Tomez DeSilva
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 11, 2013
                Thank you guys for the education you are providing.  This is the best information.

                On Monday, February 11, 2013, jdchangmedia wrote:

                The work you guys have done is pretty impressive, thanks for doing this.

                When do you think you'll implement the Facebook scraper?

                --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Eric Mill wrote:

                > Yeah, the Twitter data is more robust. But no, this data is maintained
                > unofficially.
                >
                > The contents of legislators-social-media.yaml originally comes from a
                > mixture of curated data by Sunlight and GovTrack, and it's now maintained
                > by us and anyone who wants to help out. On Sunlight's end, our data for
                > Twitter and YouTube were taken mostly from having shown up on official
                > member websites. For Facebook, I'm actually not sure. We did some updates
                > during the 111th and 112th Congresses based on looking through source code
                > for member sites, and then checking each one on Twitter to make sure it's
                > not a campaign account.
                >
                > Since we merged the two, I've taken the time to write a new
                > script that
                > scans member websites for new accounts, and used it to make our
                > Twitter data timely and high quality. No one's yet done this for Facebook
                > or YouTube accounts, but we have the process to do so ready.
                >
                > -- Eric
                >

                > On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM, jdchangmedia wrote:
                >
                > > This is great, thanks!
                > >

                > > But the Twitter data here is much more robust than the FB pages?
                > >
                > > Who updates this data....the congressional offices themselves?
                > >

                > > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Eric Mill wrote:
                > > >
                > > > And, a caveat - that doesn't track accounts for political campaigns, just
                > > > members in their official legislative capacity. The Twitter accounts have
                > > > been kept up to date and to these standards with the most rigor.

                > > all current politicians? (both national and state level)?

                > > > --
                > > > Developer | sunlightfoundation.com

                > Developer | sunlightfoundation.com

                --
                Tomez DeSilva

                Sent from the cloud

                This is privileged information.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this Email by anyone else is subject to prosecution.

              • Eric Mill
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 11, 2013

                  One of us can give it a go this week, I think.

                  -- Eric

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 15, 2013
                    I just completely regenerated our Facebook data, so the legislators-social-media.yaml file in https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators should be quite healthy. It has a bit under 500 valid, official (non-campaign) Facebook user IDs and usernames for current members of Congress, all of which were verified today. It's certainly possible we've missed some, for a variety of reasons, but I feel pretty good about the data that's there.

                    -- Eric

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 15, 2013
                      And, I just did the same for YouTube accounts. So our social media file has been completely reviewed, and every account in it has been opened in someone's browser tab and seen by a human eye at least once. Updating it going forward should be a lot easier.

                      Note: a few legislators use YouTube "channels", not user accounts, and YouTube URLs for channels require the channel path, e.g. "youtube.com/channel/[ID]".

                      So, in the YAML I list those values as "channel/[id]", so that every value in the social media file can be placed blindly after the service's domain name and will work.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 16, 2013
                        Wow, this is awesome. Great stuff!

                        Just to make sure, this encompasses current incumbents in office. But, there is no list for challengers (present or past) or past incumbents right?

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 16, 2013
                          That's right. This is official (non-campaign) accounts for currently elected members only.