Speech to Bill Mappings

  • zhynes16
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2013
      I'm curious if there have been attempts to link speeches to the bills with which the speeches are primarily concerned. I see the <bill> tags in the XML files from the Congressional record when bills are mentioned explicitly in a speech, but I was wondering if anyone has tackled this problem in scenarios where there is no explicit mention of any bill in the speech.

      I've looked around a bit online for data that might help in resolving these mappings. The Congressional Chronicle online at C-SPAN (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/congress) seems to identify those speeches that are part of the formal debate on a bill (somewhat random example: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/videoLibrary/congress.php?type=bills&billid=1073). Not clear how easy it would be to get this data, though, or how comprehensive it is.

      I know that some speeches won't have mappings; still, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried tackling this problem before.

      Thanks for your help!

      -Zach
    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2013
        I know this is something we do as part of our Capitol Words project, and that it's available in its API as a "bills" field. I'm not sure how easy it is to draw that relationship, though.

            govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
            govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/