Re: [govtrack] Re: Committee Report Data

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
      Another addendum-

      Last week I wrote a scraper for GPO FDSys. It can collect files and create a local mirror and will keep the files updated by checking FDSys's sitemap.

      https://github.com/unitedstates/congress

      ./run fdsys --collections=CRPT --year=2012 --store=mods,pdf

      On 01/31/2013 10:09 AM, zhynes16 wrote:
      Thanks for your responses, Daniel and Eric. If I end up fetching / organizing this data, I'll let folks know!

      -Zach

      --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Schuman  wrote:

      An addendum to what Eric said: every *published* committee report should
      end up there. But many committees decide not to publish their reports
      because of cost or other issues. (Published means that it goes through GPO
      -- some just generated reports; or didn't even do that.) Also, until
      recently published reports weren't necessarily posted online. This just
      changed for the House starting this Congress.

      It can be a long wait to get access to a report that's been ordered
      published and made available online... even more than a year.

      Daniel

      Daniel Schuman
      Director | Advisory Committee on Transparency
      Policy Counsel | The Sunlight Foundation
      o: 202-742-1520 x 273 | c: 202-713-5795 | @danielschuman

      On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Eric Mill wrote:

      **

      The Government Printing Office publishes these on FDSys (which has
      crawlable sitemaps):
      http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collection.action?collectionCode=CRPT

      They're not always timely, so if you're looking to keep on top of the news
      cycle or something, this isn't the right source (and I don't know of a good
      one), but I believe every committee report ends up there *eventually*, even
      if it's months later.

      -- Eric

      On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM, zhynes16  wrote:

      Hi all,

      Perhaps I missed it in browsing the data online, but I was wondering if
      committee reports on bills are available through GovTrack. If the data is
      not available through GovTrack, do you know if anyone else has organized
      the committee reports in a nice format / convenient location?

      Thanks for your help!

      -Zach

      Developer | sunlightfoundation.com

          govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com