Re: [govtrack] Committee Report Data

  • Daniel Schuman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2013
      An addendum to what Eric said: every published committee report should end up there. But many committees decide not to publish their reports because of cost or other issues. (Published means that it goes through GPO -- some just generated reports; or didn't even do that.) Also, until recently published reports weren't necessarily posted online. This just changed for the House starting this Congress.

      It can be a long wait to get access to a report that's been ordered published and made available online... even more than a year.

      Daniel

      Daniel Schuman
      Director | Advisory Committee on Transparency
      Policy Counsel | The Sunlight Foundation
      o: 202-742-1520 x 273 | c: 202-713-5795 | @danielschuman

      On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Eric Mill <eric@...> wrote:

      The Government Printing Office publishes these on FDSys (which has crawlable sitemaps):

      They're not always timely, so if you're looking to keep on top of the news cycle or something, this isn't the right source (and I don't know of a good one), but I believe every committee report ends up there *eventually*, even if it's months later.

      -- Eric

      On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM, zhynes16 <zhynes16@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      Perhaps I missed it in browsing the data online, but I was wondering if committee reports on bills are available through GovTrack. If the data is not available through GovTrack, do you know if anyone else has organized the committee reports in a nice format / convenient location?

      Thanks for your help!

      -Zach

          govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
          govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --

    • zhynes16
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
        Thanks for your responses, Daniel and Eric. If I end up fetching / organizing this data, I'll let folks know!

        -Zach

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
          Another addendum-

          Last week I wrote a scraper for GPO FDSys. It can collect files and create a local mirror and will keep the files updated by checking FDSys's sitemap.

          https://github.com/unitedstates/congress

          ./run fdsys --collections=CRPT --year=2012 --store=mods,pdf