Find / email your Rep

  • Jason B
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2013
      I'm trying to set up an automated "Find and Contact Your Congressman" page. Govtrack seems to have some of that data, but it doesn't have email addresses (which surprised me). Are there other public services I can use for this? I see that house.gov has these forms, but not sure if they have a web service.

      jason
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2013
        Hi, Jason.

        There are generally no public email addresses for Members of Congress. There is no web service for message submission either, although the House has been prototyping one (last I heard).

        Website URLs and contact form URLs are listed in the new project at http://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators.

        Electronic submission of messages into Congress is *incredibly* hard to get right (speaking from experience), which is why there are no free APIs for this (at least none that I think work). The closest is the widget at https://www.popvox.com/services/widgets#writecongress, which I trust because I built it.

        On 01/23/2013 02:50 PM, Jason B wrote:
        I'm trying to set up an automated "Find and Contact Your Congressman" page. Govtrack seems to have some of that data, but it doesn't have email addresses (which surprised me). Are there other public services I can use for this? I see that house.gov has these forms, but not sure if they have a web service.

        jason

            govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
            govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jason Bennett
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2013
          Excellent, thanks. We're also looking at the Sunlight Labs APIs, which reference yours. Between the APIs and files, it looks like we can have a very comprehensive list.

          jason

          has these forms, but not sure if they have a web service. jason ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/govtrack/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/govtrack/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: govtrack-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Jason Bennett, jasonab@...
          E pur si muove!