Re: [govtrack] Govtrack contributions

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2005
      Jeremy Dunck wrote:
      > Ouch. Have I mentioned I love govtrack and think it's quite useful
      > and important?

      Thanks, Jeremy! Much appreciated.

      > Did you have any more conversation with the folks in Washington who
      > are working on ways to make such information more generally
      > accessible?

      No, I haven't.

      I think what's going to happen next in the grand scheme of things is
      that representatives (at least those whose websites are run by
      dotgov.info) will start placing some bill identifiers (RDF URIs) into
      their RSS feeds. And, I'll then update GovTrack to make use of the same
      identifiers.

      Then we'll be able to create some new information-aggregating tools,
      which will show people why all of this work is important.

      I'm glad you mentioned your Firefox extension. (I'll take this moment
      to plug my own Thunderbird extension at http://taubz.for.net/code/spf.
      :) heh heh)

      The screencast was really interesting. Showing library-status links in
      Amazon is the type of thing that would be so much simpler to accomplish
      if only we were a bit further along with the semantic web. Embedding
      things like RDF URIs for bills in RSS feeds and, hopefully, on web
      pages, will make browsing the web so much richer -- in the same way that
      using JavaScript to inject information makes pages more informative.

      - Josh
    • TML
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2005
        ...and then we'll really start moving things VOTERS consider important
        out of the shadows of Washington. I'd love to see our 'captive' (by
        industry, party, or ideology...take your pick) representatives
        compelled to utilize technologies that undermine the value of their
        captivity by the various interest groups. Technology may yet reveal
        the true nature of our country's power structures, for all to see. I
        just hope citizens will actually want to do something with that
        revelation. That is not guaranteed.

        And yeah, that screencast WAS interesting!
        thanks,
        Tom

        On May 6, 2005, at 09:05, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack wrote:

        > The screencast was really interesting.  Showing library-status links
        > in
        > Amazon is the type of thing that would be so much simpler to
        > accomplish
        > if only we were a bit further along with the semantic web.  Embedding
        > things like RDF URIs for bills in RSS feeds and, hopefully, on web
        > pages, will make browsing the web so much richer -- in the same way
        > that
        > using JavaScript to inject information makes pages more informative.
        >
        > - Josh
      • Jeremy Dunck
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2005
          On 5/6/05, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:
          > And yeah, that screencast WAS interesting!
          > thanks,
          > Tom

          Jon Udell is quite regularly interesting. He's a tech journalist, but
          (I say but because it's somewhat unusual) he consistently thinks,
          pushes the envelope, and shares.