Re: [govtrack] Re: Nicknames

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      For current Members of Congress, state & district (House) or state &
      lastname (Senate) often works well --- as long as the list is definitely
      up to date. (I'm assuming you have no IDs on the list used in any other
      public project.)

      On 01/10/2013 03:10 PM, Jason B wrote:
      > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:
      >> It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
      >> back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
      >> is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
      >> nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
      >> https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
      >> welcome).
      >>
      > Appreciate the reply. I'm trying to match against an existing database, which I believe has the "common" name listed, but the matching is all over the place.
      >
      > jason

    • Jason B
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:

        > For current Members of Congress, state & district (House) or state &
        > lastname (Senate) often works well --- as long as the list is definitely
        > up to date. (I'm assuming you have no IDs on the list used in any other
        > public project.)

        Ah, those are good ideas, thanks. No IDs, although I plan on applying them with the results of this project. I figure yours and the bioguide should suffice.

        jason