Re: Nicknames

  • Jason B
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:

      > It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
      > back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
      > is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
      > nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
      > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
      > welcome).

      Appreciate the reply. I'm trying to match against an existing database, which I believe has the "common" name listed, but the matching is all over the place.

      jason
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        For current Members of Congress, state & district (House) or state &
        lastname (Senate) often works well --- as long as the list is definitely
        up to date. (I'm assuming you have no IDs on the list used in any other
        public project.)

        On 01/10/2013 03:10 PM, Jason B wrote:
        > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:
        >> It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
        >> back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
        >> is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
        >> nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
        >> https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
        >> welcome).
        >>
        > Appreciate the reply. I'm trying to match against an existing database, which I believe has the "common" name listed, but the matching is all over the place.
        >
        > jason

      • Jason B
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:

          > For current Members of Congress, state & district (House) or state &
          > lastname (Senate) often works well --- as long as the list is definitely
          > up to date. (I'm assuming you have no IDs on the list used in any other
          > public project.)

          Ah, those are good ideas, thanks. No IDs, although I plan on applying them with the results of this project. I figure yours and the bioguide should suffice.

          jason