Re: [govtrack] Nicknames

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
      back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
      is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
      nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
      https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
      welcome).

      Members of Congress are very often referred to in different ways in
      different places, and they change how they want to be referred to over
      time, so in the past I didn't typically update these things until there
      was an obvious problem.

      On GovTrack, nicknames typically appear in quotes, but on the votes page
      I use nicknames alone in some places so the names fit in the small space
      allocated for them.

      On 01/10/2013 02:45 PM, Jason B wrote:
      > I was wondering how nicknames are assigned to people? I see that it's Bob Casey, but Charles Schumer. And it's Michael Crapo, not Mike Crapo, even though his official website refers to him as Mike (http://www.crapo.senate.gov/).
      >
      > Appreciate the insight....
      >
      > jason

    • Jason B
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:

        > It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
        > back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
        > is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
        > nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
        > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
        > welcome).

        Appreciate the reply. I'm trying to match against an existing database, which I believe has the "common" name listed, but the matching is all over the place.

        jason
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
          For current Members of Congress, state & district (House) or state &
          lastname (Senate) often works well --- as long as the list is definitely
          up to date. (I'm assuming you have no IDs on the list used in any other
          public project.)

          On 01/10/2013 03:10 PM, Jason B wrote:
          > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:
          >> It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
          >> back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
          >> is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
          >> nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
          >> https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
          >> welcome).
          >>
          > Appreciate the reply. I'm trying to match against an existing database, which I believe has the "common" name listed, but the matching is all over the place.
          >
          > jason

        • Jason B
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
            --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:

            > For current Members of Congress, state & district (House) or state &
            > lastname (Senate) often works well --- as long as the list is definitely
            > up to date. (I'm assuming you have no IDs on the list used in any other
            > public project.)

            Ah, those are good ideas, thanks. No IDs, although I plan on applying them with the results of this project. I figure yours and the bioguide should suffice.

            jason