Nicknames

  • Jason B
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      I was wondering how nicknames are assigned to people? I see that it's Bob Casey, but Charles Schumer. And it's Michael Crapo, not Mike Crapo, even though his official website refers to him as Mike (http://www.crapo.senate.gov/).

      Appreciate the insight....

      jason
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
        back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
        is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
        nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
        https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
        welcome).

        Members of Congress are very often referred to in different ways in
        different places, and they change how they want to be referred to over
        time, so in the past I didn't typically update these things until there
        was an obvious problem.

        On GovTrack, nicknames typically appear in quotes, but on the votes page
        I use nicknames alone in some places so the names fit in the small space
        allocated for them.

        On 01/10/2013 02:45 PM, Jason B wrote:
        > I was wondering how nicknames are assigned to people? I see that it's Bob Casey, but Charles Schumer. And it's Michael Crapo, not Mike Crapo, even though his official website refers to him as Mike (http://www.crapo.senate.gov/).
        >
        > Appreciate the insight....
        >
        > jason

      • Jason B
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:

          > It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
          > back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
          > is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
          > nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
          > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
          > welcome).

          Appreciate the reply. I'm trying to match against an existing database, which I believe has the "common" name listed, but the matching is all over the place.

          jason
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
            For current Members of Congress, state & district (House) or state &
            lastname (Senate) often works well --- as long as the list is definitely
            up to date. (I'm assuming you have no IDs on the list used in any other
            public project.)

            On 01/10/2013 03:10 PM, Jason B wrote:
            > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:
            >> It's a little haphazard for senators, and in some cases these may go
            >> back to the database I started with in 2003. In the House the data now
            >> is based on how Members of Congress are referred to by the House Clerk,
            >> nickname and all. Starting this week, it's all via the
            >> https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project (patches
            >> welcome).
            >>
            > Appreciate the reply. I'm trying to match against an existing database, which I believe has the "common" name listed, but the matching is all over the place.
            >
            > jason

          • Jason B
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
              --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer wrote:

              > For current Members of Congress, state & district (House) or state &
              > lastname (Senate) often works well --- as long as the list is definitely
              > up to date. (I'm assuming you have no IDs on the list used in any other
              > public project.)

              Ah, those are good ideas, thanks. No IDs, although I plan on applying them with the results of this project. I figure yours and the bioguide should suffice.

              jason