Re: [govtrack] 113th Congress people data

  • Francis Avila
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
      Just an FYI, 78 people in the people.xml for 113 are missing bioguide ids. Possibly when file was updated they didn't have bioguide ids, but at least some of them have them now. (e.g. Sen. Brian Schatz http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=S001194 )

      unitedstates/congress-legislators seems to have them, though.

      On Jan 2, 2013, at 8:24 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:

      > The roster of the 113th Congress is up.
      >
      > * It's in the people.xml files, e.g.: http://govtrack.us/data/us/113/people.xml
      >
      > * As well as the GovTrack API.
      >
      > * And additionally the congress-legislators project on github, currently in the 113th_Congress branch: https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators/tree/113th_Congress which will be merged with master when the 112th Congress adjourns.
      >
      > Note that the 112th Congress will adjourn tomorrow and the 113th Congress will also possibly begin tomorrow, so end dates of reelected Members's previous term may have the same value as their next start dates.
      >
      > As I mentioned previously, the people.xml files will disappear at the end of 2013 (or 2014? I forget what I said.). The new way to get people data is one of the other methods listed above. Although the API v1 is going to be deprecated soon too when I finish v2.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > --
      > - Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)

      Francis Avila
      Senior Developer
      Dancing Mammoth, Inc.
      (Formerly PJ Doland Web Design, Inc.)
      P: 703.621.0990
      E: favila@...
      http://dancingmammoth.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2013
        Thanks, yeah.

        I've just posted updated people.xml (us and us/113) that draws in data
        from the new congress-legislators db rather than my legacy db, and this
        fills in all of the missing attributes. Sorry for the delay.

        Thanks to Gordon who wrote the script to do the conversion
        (https://github.com/govtrack/legacy-conversion/blob/master/convert_people.py).

        Just as a reminder, as mentioned in a previous email, the people.xml
        files will continue to be updated throughout 2013 but are now deprecated
        and will disappear at the end of 2013.

        I can now retire my legacy people database, which feels good.