Re: database.sql

  • johnpankowicz
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2012
      Hi Josh,

      Thank for the info. Are you aware of any work being done to populate data from the github projects into a relational database?

      John

      > Hi, John.
      >
      > > * Are these files actively being used either by GovTrack itself or some second party consumer of GovTrack data?
      >
      > They're not really in the 'supported' set of files, and they will
      > probably disappear in a few months when I transition to the new
      > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress and
      > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators backends.
      >
      > The best way to get info on Members of Congress is the new
      > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project.
      >
      > For other data, the best way to get it is via the raw data XML
      > (http://www.govtrack.us/developers/data) or the beta API
      > (http://www.govtrack.us/developers/api) or the new scraper project
      > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress.
      >
      > - Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)
      >
      > http://razor.occams.info
      >
      > On 12/12/2012 08:38 PM, johnpankowicz wrote:
      > > I would like to learn some more about the files contained in th "db" directory: database.sql and database.people.sql.
      > >
      > > * Are these files actively being used either by GovTrack itself or some second party consumer of GovTrack data?
      > > * How often are they updated? The latest modification date as of today (12/12/2012) is 7/9/2012.
      > > * Is the script or program that created these files available?
      > >
      > > I would be interested in working on creating a relational database of a subset of GovTrack data -- something that could be kept current with the latest updates of GovTrack's data.

    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2012
        Hi John,

        I'm not loading it into a relational database, but I am loading data on people, committees, and bills from that data on github.com/unitedstates into a non-relational schema-less database (MongoDB) for serving as part of Sunlight's Congress API.

        So if it's any help to you, here are real-world examples of processing and transforming that data:

        -- Eric

            govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
            govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --

      • johnpankowicz
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2012
          Thanks Eric,

          I will read through your code before I start working on mine. I first need to learn a bit of Ruby. I've programmed in many languages but haven't yet worked with Ruby. I've been wanting to learn it anyway.

          John