database.sql

  • johnpankowicz
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2012
      I would like to learn some more about the files contained in th "db" directory: database.sql and database.people.sql.

      * Are these files actively being used either by GovTrack itself or some second party consumer of GovTrack data?
      * How often are they updated? The latest modification date as of today (12/12/2012) is 7/9/2012.
      * Is the script or program that created these files available?

      I would be interested in working on creating a relational database of a subset of GovTrack data -- something that could be kept current with the latest updates of GovTrack's data.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2012
        Hi, John.

        > * Are these files actively being used either by GovTrack itself or some second party consumer of GovTrack data?

        They're not really in the 'supported' set of files, and they will
        probably disappear in a few months when I transition to the new
        https://github.com/unitedstates/congress and
        https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators backends.

        The best way to get info on Members of Congress is the new
        https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project.

        For other data, the best way to get it is via the raw data XML
        (http://www.govtrack.us/developers/data) or the beta API
        (http://www.govtrack.us/developers/api) or the new scraper project

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2012
          Hi Josh,

          Thank for the info. Are you aware of any work being done to populate data from the github projects into a relational database?

          John

          > Hi, John.
          >
          > > * Are these files actively being used either by GovTrack itself or some second party consumer of GovTrack data?
          >
          > They're not really in the 'supported' set of files, and they will
          > probably disappear in a few months when I transition to the new
          > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress and
          > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators backends.
          >
          > The best way to get info on Members of Congress is the new
          > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators project.
          >
          > For other data, the best way to get it is via the raw data XML
          > (http://www.govtrack.us/developers/data) or the beta API
          > (http://www.govtrack.us/developers/api) or the new scraper project
          > https://github.com/unitedstates/congress.
          >
          > - Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)
          >
          > http://razor.occams.info
          >
          > On 12/12/2012 08:38 PM, johnpankowicz wrote:
          > > I would like to learn some more about the files contained in th "db" directory: database.sql and database.people.sql.
          > >
          > > * Are these files actively being used either by GovTrack itself or some second party consumer of GovTrack data?
          > > * How often are they updated? The latest modification date as of today (12/12/2012) is 7/9/2012.
          > > * Is the script or program that created these files available?
          > >
          > > I would be interested in working on creating a relational database of a subset of GovTrack data -- something that could be kept current with the latest updates of GovTrack's data.

        • Eric Mill
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2012
            Hi John,

            I'm not loading it into a relational database, but I am loading data on people, committees, and bills from that data on github.com/unitedstates into a non-relational schema-less database (MongoDB) for serving as part of Sunlight's Congress API.

            So if it's any help to you, here are real-world examples of processing and transforming that data:

            -- Eric

                govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
                govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --

          • johnpankowicz
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 17, 2012
              Thanks Eric,

              I will read through your code before I start working on mine. I first need to learn a bit of Ruby. I've programmed in many languages but haven't yet worked with Ruby. I've been wanting to learn it anyway.

              John