[Searching for Congress by ZIP+4]

  • joseph_duero
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2012
      I am doing some work for a Non-Profit that requires the ability to determine who there Congress members are by ZIP+4. It's great that www.govtrak.us has added the ability to do so, but I am having a difficult time finding this functionality in the API.

      Could someone please point me to where this is documented? I noticed that other sites like www.opencongress.org (which rely on GovTrak) have implemented this functionality. Unfortunately, they do not provide documentation in their API either.

      Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2012
        Hi, Joseph.

        I use a combination of the Google Maps geocoder (address to lat/lng) plus a GIS system based on work by the Chicago Tribune and OpenNorth (lat/lng to congressional district).

        I've just posted documentation for the 2nd part of the API here:

        2010 districts:
        http://gis.govtrack.us/map/demo/2010-cd/?nocache=1

        2012 districts:
        http://gis.govtrack.us/map/demo/cd-2012/?nocache=1

        ZIP+4s change regularly and there is no open ZIP+4 data to my knowledge (the USPS sells it). In a previous life I used the CDYNE service, which is paid, but relatively cheap, and gives good street address to district info.

        Full source code and deployment info: https://github.com/tauberer/boundaries_us

        On 10/21/2012 06:46 AM, joseph_duero wrote:
        I am doing some work for a Non-Profit that requires the ability to determine who there Congress members are by ZIP+4.  It's great that www.govtrak.us has added the ability to do so, but I am having a difficult time finding this functionality in the API.

        Could someone please point me to where this is documented?  I noticed that other sites like www.opencongress.org (which rely on GovTrak) have implemented this functionality.  Unfortunately, they do not provide documentation in their API either.

        Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

            govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
            govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • joseph_duero
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2012
          Hey Josh,

          You have helped me greatly! I really appreciate the advice and guidance. I ended up going w/ MapQuest rather than Google, since there isn't an explicit requirement that you MUST display a map -- although I definitely need to bring this up w/ my Legal Department to confirm. I am purely interested in determining the coordinates and storing them in a DB to be later used for GovTrak's API so that I can determine the Congressional District.

          The only thing I have left is to map my the Districts to the corresponding Representatives. I'll browse through your code to see how you have implemented it.

          Just out of curiosity, do you know if you guys plan on offering a Person Search by District in your API at all? The reason I ask is that (if at all possible), I would like to obtain this information from a group that actually maintains it -- rather than me having to make sure I update my data when needed.

          Thanks again for the extremely valuable help.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 24, 2012
            > Just out of curiosity, do you know
            if you guys plan on offering a Person Search by District in your API at all?

            You have three options for this:

            1) https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators

            Download legislators-current.yaml.

            2) Download http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/112/people.xml