Re: [govtrack] Important changes to license terms coming [NB/NN edition]

  • Aaron Swartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2012

      You may not disparage services for being nonpartisan.
      ( http://www.govtrack.us/developers/license)

      In response to your original license draft, I told friends in the progressive movement that partisan services tend to be more poorly-built than nonpartisan ones and, therefore, by acting so vehemently against NationBuilder, they would reduce the quality of tools available to them. This morning, I further observed that, on the flip side, this means that if the entire progressive movement refused to use NationBuilder, it would effectively be forced to be a partisan service, and that would probably make the product worse than it otherwise would be and thereby keep better tools out of the hands of their political opponents. Does that qualify as disparagement under the license?
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2012
        I don't see where in there you are being disparaging, let alone for NB being nonpartisan. You're basically just repeating NB's business model --- selling to everyone is better.

        Feel free to rephrase if I didn't understand.