Re: [govtrack] 112th congress shapefile

  • Margie Roswell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      Thanks. A couple of drawbacks:
      1. How to combine them into one larger KML file?
      2. How will they look, given this note:
      Note that you generally cannot combine multiple KML files onto a single map perfectly.

      On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Eric Mill <eric@...> wrote:

      GovTrack provides KML versions of every state and Congressional District, and they've been reduced in granularity to be small and easily usable:

      I use these in Sunlight's Congress app for Android (we host a separate mirror of them).

      However, these are based off the districts drawn after the 2000 Census, and they'll be made obsolete soon enough. I'm not in touch with the redistricting process enough to know when would be the right time to regenerate them all - so many states are in different places in the process right now.

      -- Eric

      On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Margie Roswell <mroswell@...> wrote:
      Does anyone have a nice generalized shapefile of the current Congress?

      The National Atlas version is so full of detail that every island off
      the coast is a separate polygon... very unwieldy, and slow. The nice
      ESRI generalized Congressional file is downloadable as an lpk file,
      which I'm unable to open.

      Thanks for leads and/or data.

      Best Regards,

      Margie

         govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
         govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://www.BaltimoreUrbanAg.org (Please send events; This site is hungry.)
      http://www.ExcellentNutrition.org
      http://www.FriendlyCoffeehouse.org
      http://www.packtpub.com/drupal-5-views-recipes/book

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
        Yeah the GovTrack KMLs won't combine perfectly because the
        size-reduction process was done district by district, and so
        simplifications on one border don't always match the simplifications
        done on the same border but in the adjacent district's file.

        Besides that, you could essentially concatenate the files (not exactly,
        but essentially).

        - Josh Tauberer
        - CivicImpulse

        http://razor.occams.info
        http://www.civicimpulse.com

        On 12/02/2011 02:55 PM, Margie Roswell wrote:

        > Thanks. A couple of drawbacks:
        > 1. How to combine them into one larger KML file?
        > 2. How will they look, given this note:
        > Note that you generally cannot combine multiple KML files onto a single
        > map perfectly.
        >

        > On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Eric Mill <eric@...
        > <mailto:eric@...>> wrote:
        >
        > __
        >
        > GovTrack provides KML versions of every state and Congressional
        > District, and they've been reduced in granularity to be small and
        > easily usable:
        >
        > http://www.govtrack.us/embed/googlemaps.xpd
        >
        > I use these in Sunlight's Congress app for Android (we host a
        > separate mirror of them).
        >
        > However, these are based off the districts drawn after the 2000
        > Census, and they'll be made obsolete soon enough. I'm not in touch
        > with the redistricting process enough to know when would be the
        > right time to regenerate them all - so many states are in different
        > places in the process right now.
        >
        > -- Eric
        >
        > On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Margie Roswell <mroswell@...
        > <mailto:mroswell@...>> wrote:
        >
        > Does anyone have a nice generalized shapefile of the current
        > Congress?
        >
        > The National Atlas version is so full of detail that every
        > island off
        > the coast is a separate polygon... very unwieldy, and slow. The nice
        > ESRI generalized Congressional file is downloadable as an lpk file,
        > which I'm unable to open.
        >
        > Thanks for leads and/or data.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Margie

        > govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>
        >

        > --
        > Developer | sunlightfoundation.com <http://sunlightfoundation.com>
        >

        > --
        > http://www.BaltimoreUrbanAg.org (Please send events; This site is hungry.)
        > http://www.ExcellentNutrition.org
        > http://www.FriendlyCoffeehouse.org
        > http://www.packtpub.com/drupal-5-views-recipes/book

      • Eric Mill
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
          So in other words, you could combine them, they'd just look all jiggly at the edges and have slight overlaps. The only way to avoid that is to preserve all the detail - but then it'd be unwieldy and slow, as you said in your email.

          On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
          Yeah the GovTrack KMLs won't combine perfectly because the
          size-reduction process was done district by district, and so
          simplifications on one border don't always match the simplifications
          done on the same border but in the adjacent district's file.

          Besides that, you could essentially concatenate the files (not exactly,
          but essentially).

          - Josh Tauberer
          - CivicImpulse

          http://razor.occams.info
          http://www.civicimpulse.com

          "Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation!  Yields