112th congress shapefile

  • Margie Roswell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      Does anyone have a nice generalized shapefile of the current Congress?

      The National Atlas version is so full of detail that every island off
      the coast is a separate polygon... very unwieldy, and slow. The nice
      ESRI generalized Congressional file is downloadable as an lpk file,
      which I'm unable to open.

      Thanks for leads and/or data.

      Best Regards,

      Margie
      --
    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
        GovTrack provides KML versions of every state and Congressional District, and they've been reduced in granularity to be small and easily usable:

        I use these in Sunlight's Congress app for Android (we host a separate mirror of them).

        However, these are based off the districts drawn after the 2000 Census, and they'll be made obsolete soon enough. I'm not in touch with the redistricting process enough to know when would be the right time to regenerate them all - so many states are in different places in the process right now.

        -- Eric

           govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
           govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --

      • Margie Roswell
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
          Thanks. A couple of drawbacks:
          1. How to combine them into one larger KML file?
          2. How will they look, given this note:
          Note that you generally cannot combine multiple KML files onto a single map perfectly.

          http://www.BaltimoreUrbanAg.org (Please send events; This site is hungry.)
          http://www.ExcellentNutrition.org
          http://www.FriendlyCoffeehouse.org
          http://www.packtpub.com/drupal-5-views-recipes/book

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
            Yeah the GovTrack KMLs won't combine perfectly because the
            size-reduction process was done district by district, and so
            simplifications on one border don't always match the simplifications
            done on the same border but in the adjacent district's file.

            Besides that, you could essentially concatenate the files (not exactly,
            but essentially).

            - Josh Tauberer
            - CivicImpulse

            http://razor.occams.info
            http://www.civicimpulse.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
              So in other words, you could combine them, they'd just look all jiggly at the edges and have slight overlaps. The only way to avoid that is to preserve all the detail - but then it'd be unwieldy and slow, as you said in your email.

              On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
              Yeah the GovTrack KMLs won't combine perfectly because the
              size-reduction process was done district by district, and so
              simplifications on one border don't always match the simplifications
              done on the same border but in the adjacent district's file.

              Besides that, you could essentially concatenate the files (not exactly,
              but essentially).

              - Josh Tauberer
              - CivicImpulse

              http://razor.occams.info
              http://www.civicimpulse.com

              "Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation!  Yields