813Re: [govtrack] Consolidating Multiple Equivalent Roll types?

    Jan 16, 2010
      Hey,

      Yes, I think normalizing the Type element would be a great idea.

      Once that's done, your second typeiness (I like that word) sounds like a
      good idea too. All of the types can be grouped into one of "passage",
      "on-amendment", "override", "motion", etc.

      If you have a comprehensive list of the types & pairings, I can put it
      to use.

      On 01/16/2010 10:57 AM, Ben Woosley wrote:

      > So I'm applying some logic to the rolls, with the expectation that roll
      > type being the key arbiter of meaning, i.e. what the roll means wrt the
      > bill/amendment it relates to.
      >
      > Here I'm finding that the roll types include a substantial array of
      > equivalent (but different) type strings. The best way to see this
      > immediately is to count the distinct roll types, then do the same with
      > downcased roll types. A substantial minority of the hundreds of types
      > are simply different casings of other types.
      >
      > In an effort to clean this up without losing information, I've been
      > trying to consolidate equivalent types. Here's an example pairing:
      >
      > These: ["Suspend Rules and Pass, As Amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND
      > PASS, AS AMENDED", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as
      > Amended", "SUSPEND RULES AND PASS, AS AMENDED", "On Motion to Suspend
      > the Rules and Pass, as amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS AS
      > AMENDED", "Suspend rules and pass, as amended", "Suspend the Rules and
      > Pass, As Amended", "On motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as
      > Amended", "On Motion To Suspend the Rules and Pass, As Amended", "On
      > motion to suspend the rules and pass, as amended", "Suspend the Rules
      > and Pass, as Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, As
      > Amended", "ON Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On
      > Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, Amended", "On Motion to Supend the
      > Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On Motions to Suspend the Rules and Pass,
      > as Amended", "On motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as amended", "On
      > Motion to Suspend Rules and Pass, as Amended", "Motion to Suspend the
      > Rules and Pass, as Amended", "Suspend the Rules and Pass, as amended",
      > "Suspend the rules and Pass, as amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS,
      > AS AMENDED .", "Suspend the rules and pass, as amended"]
      >
      > Become: "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended"
      >
      > I have some 2-dozen such pairings so far. Aside from these sorts of
      > changes, I noticed that there are significant rolls, such as cloture
      > votes, hidden within the nondescript "On the Motion" roll type, though I
      > haven't attempted to unpack these yet.
      >
      > Would gov-track be interested in integrating this sort of consolidation
      > logic into its back-end? It seems it could be helpful to others.
      >
      > Also, I have interest in adding a second layer of "roll-typiness" to
      > rolls, for example indicating that all of the following: [
      > "On Passage", "Passage, Objections of the President Notwithstanding",
      > "On Agreeing to the Resolution", "On Agreeing to the Resolution, as
      > Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree", "On Motion to
      > Suspend the Rules and Agree, as Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the
      > Rules and Pass", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended"
      > ]
      >
      > Have to do with passing or overriding a veto on some non-amendment
      > something. Thoughts on this?
      >
      > -Ben

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic