526Re: [govtrack] Re: question about voting

  • Ralph Yozzo
    Jun 24, 2008
      since there is no practical way to get the attention of any congresspeople, short of arriving with large checks in hand.

      Doesn't this show that, if this is true, that any system that gives the power/voice/vote of many to a few or to one is not a good system.  The one will be the target of corruption.  Imagine the opposite.  A system where all 6 billion people were involved.  I'd like to see the lobbyists bribe 6 billion.  For once, bribery would be a good thing.

      On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Harvey Frey <hsfrey@...> wrote:

      Josh:

          So what you're saying is that the technical issues raised by tay199 are irrelevant, since there is no practical way to get the attention of any congresspeople, short of arriving with large checks in hand.

          I don't know that that's necessarily so, since I've been asked, out of the blue, (just on the basis of my website) to help a congressman and later a senator draft legislation on the ERISA issue.

          Of course, neither of them paid any attention to what I wrote. <G>
      But I think that's because they were both republicans and not sympathetic to my more patient-oriented initiatives.

          So, I wouldn't be completely pessimistic, given that we may have a new congress more interested in new approaches.

      Harvey