1192New /data directory files

    Jul 8, 2013

      I'm now mirroring the github:unitedstates projects in GovTrack's /data directory.

      The directories are now rsync'able as well.

      For current info (113th Congress forward), these are now the "official" locations for bill status, text (sans PDF), votes, Members of Congress, committees, etc.

      For bills, votes, and amendments, you'll find exactly the same XML files as you're using now, just at a new location. Plus new JSON files if you prefer to use that.

      See http://www.govtrack.us/developers/data for more info.

      Documentation on the new files is light, but hopefully I'll find some time to update it here: https://github.com/unitedstates/congress/wiki.

      Next I'll be back-filling those directories with historical data. Once all of the historical data is scraped using the new congress project scrapers, and available in /data/congress, then I'll be deprecating basically the whole /data/us directory. I hope to delete that directory at the end of the 113th Congress (Jan 3, 2015).

      - Josh Tauberer (@JoshData)