More Talk of a reunion!

  • Justin Hughes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005
      I received this email from another website, when I responded Mr.
      Palmer asked me to post it on this group because for some reason he
      can not access Yahoo. Looks like the push for a reunion is growing,
      let's keep it going. If you would be interested respond to Mr.
      Palmer at :

      PALMERMCG@...

      Dear fellow GI brats,

      I am attempting two things with this email, maybe more.

      First, I am slowly building a list to send information about a
      possible reunion in 2006. This list now includes only the first 80
      people alphabetically with known email addresses.*

      Second, I'm trying to find out whether there is interest in a
      reunion, and, if so, is it a few people or hundreds? Please let me
      know if you would attend a reunion in NYC with a trip out to the
      Island, and possibly an event there. NYC isn't cheap and we would
      have to stay somewhere other than the Island, so it will cost.

      Related to the second goal, when is the best time to do such a
      reunion? Henry del Rosario has projected the fall, which could be a
      problem. For one thing, no ferries run to the Island except in the
      summer, but for enough money, I think they'll make 'em run. (It
      costs $3000 a day) Then there is school for those with young
      families. Is summer better or fall?

      There is some information that you might find interesting, if not
      definitive. For one, we have been contacted by a woman who says she
      is with the NYC school board and will be opening a boarding school in
      the Island in 2007 or 08 and would gladly host our reunion, including
      boarding at the school. So we want to wait to see if that actually
      comes to pass?

      There is a national park on the Island which has tours all summer,
      Tuesday through Friday and then a limited tour on Saturdays. These
      are open to anyone, first come, at $5 a ferry ride. So any of us can
      go whenever we want and can even arrange to meet old GI friends
      there. This may be an alternative to a big reunion.

      The head ranger tells me that the buildings are in bad shape and
      cannot be entered. The park is the northern part of the Island,
      essentially from the golf course to Castle Willy. The tours are
      walking tours to see the Fort, the Castle, the O club, the chapel,
      etc. By the way, the park is short staffed except in the summer,
      another reason that summer might be the best choice.

      Hope to hear from you,

      Palmer McGrew

      * you are in the third group to get this. some stats from the first
      groups: of 50 addressees, I got 12 responses(!) of which 11 said yes
      and one said maybe. Almost all preferred summer to fall.