Blast from the past

  • Cathy (Coppola) Mcnamee
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1 5:40 PM
      I just discovered this site and love it. I too, miss GI. I lived
      onthe island from 75-91. My parents stayed till it closed!
      Needless
      to say, I recognize many names and remember many of the memories
      that are posted.
      More memories:

      Riding bikes to fog horn alley during the summer, (before they got
      rid of the big hill)

      Sledding on the golf course

      "Peanut League"

      Playing hide and go seek in fort jay

      Hanging out at the basketball court

      Swimming at the pool and hating to get out during adult swim

      Teachers at PS 26-Ms Weintraub, Ms Sasoon, Ms DiNapoli, Mr Williams,
      Ms Feinglass

      Talent shows

      The opening of burgerking

      Some friend that I'd love to hear from or about,
      Michelle Sparrow, Michelle and Ronnie Benzeleski, Holly O'Keefe,
      Francis Harrison, Ronnie Blount, Tara Dunnington, Nori Lyn Aguilla,
      Chris Wilson, James Delasandro, Apirl Sommers, Allie Maulum just to
      name a few...if your out there I'd love to here from you!!
      Cathy (Coppola)Mcnamee
    • juliecoronel
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 5 7:36 PM
        Hi Cathy,

        I remember you... I think I was in a couple of your classes? I lived
        on the Island from '82-'85. I had Ms. Weintraub, Ms. Feinglass, Ms.
        Reiben, and the one lady with the long blond hair that taught 6th
        grade... what the heck was her name, anyone remember?

        Julie Coronel Cartwright
      • Carolyn Masini
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 5 9:34 PM
          Was it Miss Joan Shestak. I had her for my third grade teacher when I lived on the Island in the 70's. Carolyn Westfall Masini 1971-1977 Bldg 877

          juliecoronel <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hi Cathy,

          I remember you... I think I was in a couple of your classes? I lived
          on the Island from '82-'85. I had Ms. Weintraub, Ms. Feinglass, Ms.
          Reiben, and the one lady with the long blond hair that taught 6th
          grade... what the heck was her name, anyone remember?

          Julie Coronel Cartwright

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Cathy mcnamee

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 11, 2004
              Cathy, do you remember any of the Stewart family?
            • Carolyn Masini
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 11, 2004
                HI, I lived on the Island from 1971-1977 in Bldg 877 apt 577 and there was a Stewart family that lived across the hall from us. Is this the same family?? Carolyn Westfall Masini

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 11, 2004
                  No, my family lived there from 80 to about 85. We lived in building
                  844.
                • bigelooklike@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 11, 2004
                    Hi I Do not know you but I lived in Building - 877 Apt 431 & 632. From 1971
                    thru 1975.
                    I was the kid who rode the unicycle around & around the Base! Born in 1960!
                    See Ya! Robert
                    Brinkerhoff

                    Panama City, FL

                    _bigelooklike@..._ (mailto:bigelooklike@...)

                  • dreamer7772000
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 13, 2004
                      Hi Robert, My oldest brother, Mike Fenner used to ride a unicycle
                      around too. Did you know him? We lived there from 71 till my parents
                      finally left in 83. Of course, us kids were grown and gone by then.
                      Dawn Fenner-Dreizler 71-79
                    • bigelooklike@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 13, 2004
                        Hi Dawn; Mikes name sounds familar, How old is he?

                        Robert (BOB)

                      • rwnstl
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 13, 2004
                          Shield of Peace...I knew a Stewart family, but I believe they lived
                          in 855. They lived on the first floor because they had about 9 kids.
                          That wou;dn't be your family would it?

                          --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, "shieldofpeace"
                          <shieldofpeace@y...> wrote:

                          > No, my family lived there from 80 to about 85. We lived in building
                          > 844.
                        • shieldofpeace
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 13, 2004
                            That would have been us. We were in building 844 apt 1G. By the time
                            we left our family ended up with a total of 10 children.

                            --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, rwnstl <no_reply@y...>
                            wrote:

                            > Shield of Peace...I knew a Stewart family, but I believe they
                            lived
                            > in 855. They lived on the first floor because they had about 9
                            kids.
                            > That wou;dn't be your family would it?
                            >
                            > --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, "shieldofpeace"
                            > <shieldofpeace@y...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > No, my family lived there from 80 to about 85. We lived in
                            building
                            > > 844.
                          • rwnstl
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 13, 2004
                              Yeah...can't be too many families that fit that description. I was a
                              classmate of yor brother Travis. We were in Scouts together as well.
                              Oddly enough, we all moved away from the island the same week twenty
                              years ago. My lingering memory of your brother dates back to the
                              camping trip the scouts took to the Alpine forest of NEw JErsey. We
                              had packed up and where ready to head back to G.I. and Travis bolted
                              from the car (apparently mad about something) and dashed off into the
                              forest. We had to sit around for about an hour while the adults went
                              searching for him.

                              <shieldofpeace@y...> wrote:

                              > That would have been us. We were in building 844 apt 1G. By the
                              time
                              > we left our family ended up with a total of 10 children.
                              >
                              > --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, rwnstl
                              <no_reply@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Shield of Peace...I knew a Stewart family, but I believe they
                              > lived
                              > > in 855. They lived on the first floor because they had about 9
                              > kids.
                              > > That wou;dn't be your family would it?
                              > >
                              > > --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, "shieldofpeace"
                              > > <shieldofpeace@y...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > No, my family lived there from 80 to about 85. We lived in
                              > building
                              > > > 844.
                            • shieldofpeace
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 14, 2004
                                I remeber that day. That same day our mother went into labor with
                                our last sibling. We had a lot of fun at that scout camp. My brother
                                Jason scared me and some others with stories of the Buffalo Boy
                                before we even got out of the van. Our mother was a Den Mother for
                                the Scouts.

                                wrote:

                                > Yeah...can't be too many families that fit that description. I was
                                > classmate of yor brother Travis. We were in Scouts together as
                                well.
                                > Oddly enough, we all moved away from the island the same week
                                twenty
                                > years ago. My lingering memory of your brother dates back to the
                                > camping trip the scouts took to the Alpine forest of NEw JErsey.
                                We
                                > had packed up and where ready to head back to G.I. and Travis
                                bolted
                                > from the car (apparently mad about something) and dashed off into
                                the
                                > forest. We had to sit around for about an hour while the adults
                                went
                                > searching for him.

                              • rwnstl
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 14, 2004
                                  I remember those stories too. The one about the New Jersey Devil
                                  really spooked me. That camp was definitely a lot of fun. I recall
                                  that your mom was Den Mother. I also recall Ms. Scaggins (she was
                                  somehow in the socut leadership and had two sons who were scouts). If
                                  I recall correctly, it rained on us the first day or two, so we had
                                  to hang our clothes up by the fire to dry. Aside from that, it was a
                                  great experience.

                                  <shieldofpeace@y...> wrote:

                                  > I remeber that day. That same day our mother went into labor with
                                  > our last sibling. We had a lot of fun at that scout camp. My
                                  brother
                                  > Jason scared me and some others with stories of the Buffalo Boy
                                  > before we even got out of the van. Our mother was a Den Mother for
                                  > the Scouts.
                                  >
                                  > --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, rwnstl
                                  <no_reply@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Yeah...can't be too many families that fit that description. I
                                  was
                                  > > classmate of yor brother Travis. We were in Scouts together as
                                  > well.
                                  > > Oddly enough, we all moved away from the island the same week
                                  > twenty
                                  > > years ago. My lingering memory of your brother dates back to the
                                  > > camping trip the scouts took to the Alpine forest of NEw JErsey.
                                  > We
                                  > > had packed up and where ready to head back to G.I. and Travis
                                  > bolted
                                  > > from the car (apparently mad about something) and dashed off into
                                  > the
                                  > > forest. We had to sit around for about an hour while the adults
                                  > went
                                  > > searching for him.

                                • shieldofpeace
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 14, 2004
                                    It was funny about the scavanger hunt at the camp. My brother Jason
                                    traded Ricky Skaggs numbers and Jason ended up with the bag that had
                                    the medal in it. I think Jason may have scouted the area and knew
                                    whom to approach. Boy was Ricky not pleased. I think he cried.

                                    The Skaggs were some nice folks. They helped us move from G.I. to
                                    Idaho. I mean, they actually travelled with us. It has been a long
                                    time since I had heard anything from Mr. and Mrs. Skaggs or their
                                    boys, Ricky and Jason. Last time I heard, they were in California.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 14, 2004
                                      LOL. I remember that. I also remember how we walked over to some
                                      other troop's campsite and they did a skit that turned out to be a
                                      gag on us (the "i caught a line full of suckers" skit). I remember
                                      some folks in our Troop were not happy about the skit and there was a
                                      lot of tension. I guess we couldn't take a joke.

                                      The Skaggs were indeed nice.

                                      <shieldofpeace@y...> wrote:

                                      > It was funny about the scavanger hunt at the camp. My brother Jason
                                      > traded Ricky Skaggs numbers and Jason ended up with the bag that
                                      had
                                      > the medal in it. I think Jason may have scouted the area and knew
                                      > whom to approach. Boy was Ricky not pleased. I think he cried.
                                      >
                                      > The Skaggs were some nice folks. They helped us move from G.I. to
                                      > Idaho. I mean, they actually travelled with us. It has been a long
                                      > time since I had heard anything from Mr. and Mrs. Skaggs or their
                                      > boys, Ricky and Jason. Last time I heard, they were in California.
                                      >
                                      > --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, rwnstl
                                      <no_reply@y...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > > I remember those stories too. The one about the New Jersey Devil
                                      > really spooked me. That camp was definitely a lot of fun. I recall
                                      > that your mom was Den Mother. I also recall Ms. Scaggins (she was
                                      > somehow in the socut leadership and had two sons who were scouts).
                                      > If I recall correctly, it rained on us the first day or two, so we
                                      > had to hang our clothes up by the fire to dry. Aside from that, it
                                      > was a great experience.
                                    • dreamer7772000
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 20, 2004
                                        Damn, now you are going to ask hard questions! Ha ha Sorry, didn't
                                        get back to you sooner. Let's see, I am 43 and he should be about 5
                                        years older or so. So I'm guessing 48. Maybe a year or two older. He
                                        doesn't do the computer stuff so he doesn't get on this site. I'll
                                        tell my brother to mention it to him. Maybe he will sometime in the
                                        future. Take care and Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas to everyone!