Re: GI 1979-1984 (New Poster)

  • rwnstl
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 15, 2004
      Sorry about that. I rarely put my name in any public forum, but since
      this is the Governors Island site, I will make an exception (I'll
      only give my first name). My name is Ronnell, and I lived on the
      island from 1979 to 1984 (Building 855).

      --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, kimthegibrat
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > RWNSTL,
      >
      > You did not tell us who you are. How are we supposed to remember if
      > we know you or not? When did you live on the Island?
      >
      > I look forward to seeing your pictures. I was on the Island for the
      > guided tour but have not been back yet for the Doggie Island
      Picnic.
      > Sounds yummy. :)
      >
      > Kim Johnson
      > 70-74 & 77-81
    • Rikki Wade
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2004
        welcome to the board. i went to the on one of the sat. Tours a couple of weeks ago. It was a little like walking through a ghost time , i went with my best friend and she must have thought i was nuts getting excited about the coast guard street signs still being up. I thought it was amusing people eating fried chicken on the windows of the castle .
        - rikki bldg 855 79-82

        rwnstl <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        Hey folks. I recently stumbled upon this board (as well as the board
        governorsislandbrats80to95). I don't recognize any of the names on
        either board, but it is refreshing to at least see messages being
        exchanged about the the place I spent a portion of my childhood. I
        went on the Governors Island tours arranged by the National Park
        Service last November. I also went to the island last Saturday for
        the open stroll down the westside of the island. If you haven't been
        back it really is worth the trip. If you are going to return to a
        place that holds many memories and ghosts from your past, it is
        rather fitting to do so while the place is still empty and
        uninhabited. The rotting wooden doors and the playgrounds overgrown
        with weeds really do give it a ghost town sort of feel. Yet, through
        all that, the beauty and quaintness of the island still shines
        through. Well worth the trip.Your experience as GI Brats will be
        different from everyone else's around you. For instance, I couldn't
        believe that people actually threw down picnic blankets and had lunch
        on the lawn in front of the Galley that we affectionately knew
        as "Doggy Island." IF only they knew. ;-)

        In all events...I started school on G.I. The teachers I recall having
        were Ms. Fader (couldn't stand her), Ms. Canizares (sp?) and Ms.
        Cohen (loved her). Some of the names I remember are: Arthur Ray Jr.,
        Haryn Singleton, Anthony D'Alasandro (sp?), Susan Kramer, Gilbert
        Smith, Mattew Gallante, and a crew of others.

        I will be posting photos from my Saturday visit to G.I. within a few
        days. I usually post on Webshots, so I will provide you witha link to
        the appropriate website. Take care.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • rwnstl
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2004
          Yeah...I took a bunch of photos of street signs. I also fixated on
          the empty bus stops along the roads. I will try and post a link to
          some photos by tomorrow evening.

          RW Building 855 79-84

          --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, Rikki Wade

          Service.

        • Randi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2004
            when you were on the island did you know anyone by the last name of
            Wade ? i put up a few of my pictures from the recent trip
            under "Recent trip" folder in the photo section.Creative name i know
            but its all i could think of at the time.
            rikki
          • rwnstl
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2004
              I can't say I recall the name Wade. Did you live in 855? I did see
              your photos. I plan to post a few of mines soon.

              --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, "Randi" <rrw1222@y...>
              wrote:
              > when you were on the island did you know anyone by the last name
              of
              > Wade ? i put up a few of my pictures from the recent trip
              > under "Recent trip" folder in the photo section.Creative name i
              know
              > but its all i could think of at the time.
              > rikki
            • Rikki Wade
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19, 2004
                yep that was our building , i was amazed at how huge the trees had gotten around it!! I was telling my friend when we reached the area that they were not that big back then. I got a chance to look at your GI pictures very nice =)
                rikki