Re: [Governors Island Brats] Fw: Military Brats Registry News-BRATCON Radio Talk Show

  • paul fradejas
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
      DALLAS video from the 80's

      From: Kathy Eby <keby219@...>
      To: GI Brats <governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thu, November 25, 2010 11:20:43 AM
      Subject: [Governors Island Brats] Fw: Military Brats Registry News-BRATCON Radio Talk Show

      --- On Thu, 11/25/10, Military Brats Registry <news@...> wrote:

      Date: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 8:51 AM

      Military Brats Registry News
      http://www.militarybrat.com/

      Over 83,000 Military Brats and growing!

      November 2010

      "Preserving the culture and history of those who grew up military"

      A Personal Note
      From Marc Curtis
      Creator/Webmaster

      Resources Abound!

      It always makes me happy to see new resources for Military Brats become available.

      I'm pleased to announce one of those new resources that is getting noticed in our community (see our top story). It's refreshing to see a new idea, instead of an attempt to copy something that's already being done.

      There are some groups and organizations that have been online for many years because they focus on a particular niche` within our culture. For instance, many alumni groups have a website specifically for their school or class year. Many of these can be found at the Military Brats Registry on the Reunion Info Page.

      Also, the number of books being written about Military Brat Life continues to grow (see the story about Marilyn Morris' new book). And then there's Mary Edwards Wertsch's in-depth work that celebrates 20 years in print, but is just as relevant today as it was at conception. This is a book that should remain available as long as there are Military Brats in this world!

      Do you have an idea for something that hasn't been done for Brats but would be an important service? I'm happy to assist you in getting it started. If we all work together our community becomes stronger and we can actually bring people back together instead of separate into splinter groups that defeat the purpose. The Military Brats Registry is a central location. Our desire is to point you not only to your friends who you've lost contact with, but also to resources to help you understand who you are!

      Military Brats Registry

      The primary support for the Military Brats Registry comes from subscriptions and sales in the Brat Store.

      Login to your profile to update your subscription level today!

      "Every Brat Has a Story"

      Do you have a story to tell? Please send it to us by clicking the "Email Us" tab.

      Thanks to Christopher DePrater for the new logo design!

      Military Brats Registry
      466 Orange Street, #280
      Redlands, CA 92374
      (909)255-1499
      ©2010 Military Brats Registry, all rights reserved

      Remember...
      "Every Brat Has a Story"

      ...What's yours?

      Growing Up Military
      Free shipping!

      Coin of the Military Brat
      Coin of the Military Brat

      bratcon radio

      Dennis Campbell and Pat Caves launch BRATCON Radio on the VoiceAmerica Variety Channel
      BRATCON is a weekly one hour radio talk show aimed at honoring and examining all aspects of the American Brat culture.  The show began airing on November 11th, 2010 with an interview with Donna Musil of The Brat Film.  Internet radio affords Brats and those curious about Brats to tune in from anywhere in the world simply with an internet connection.
      Listeners are encouraged to participate in the live broadcasts each week through call ins, live chat, texts and emails.  With the benefits of modern technology, listeners from around the world can come together and put their unique imprint on the show.  With approximately 15 million past and present Brats – BRATCON is the show for and about a significant part of American culture.
      The show airs live every Thursday at 16:00 PST and archives are always available. Search for Donna Musil and for Marilyn Morris to hear the currently archived programs, and be ready for Mary Edwards Wertsch soon, as well as Marc Curtis from the Military Brats Registry!

      Cyber Monday deal at the Brat Store! Enter the coupon code "NovNews" for a 15% discount on all products. Excludes CA sales tax where required and shipping/handling. Valid November 22 through December 15, 2010.

      opportunity to serve

      From Mary Edwards Wertsch:

      As many of you know, I am the author of the 1991 book, Military Brats:  Legacies of Childhood Inside the Fortress, now on the cusp of its 20th anniversary.  It’s been in print this whole time, the last five years or so through Brightwell Publishing, a company I founded in 2005 expressly to publish works that strengthen military brat cultural identity.  My idea was not only to keep my own book in print, but to bring out works by other military brat writers about military childhood; sadly, that part of the dream remains to be realized.

      I am writing to you now because I need help.  I am looking for someone to take over Brightwell Publishing.  I found that running a business is not something I enjoy, and this cause deserves someone who believes in the mission and has the know-how and the passion to make a business grow to its potential.

      Brightwell Publishing is a bare-bones affair at the moment.  It is solvent, but very, very tiny.  It needs someone who understands business, loves books, and wants to throw himself or herself into publishing, promoting, marketing, and distributing books that serve the stated mission of Brightwell Publishing.  I still believe as much as ever that the brat community needs a resource like this.

      What I want to do is write.  That’s what I was cut out for.   I could just let the business die and go off and write, but that strikes me as a disservice to our far-flung tribe.  We constitute an entire cultural group, first identified in my book, and we need to create our own infrastructure of organizations, gatherings, educational resources, services, artistic outlets, and archives of our history.  No one else is going to do this for us.  One resource I happen to think we need is a publishing company dedicated to our unique cultural group.

      So if you are interested in taking on a new mission in life, and the idea of serving the brat mission lights a fire in your heart, please let me know.  The ideal candidate passionately believes in the mission—strengthening military brat cultural identity—and has business experience, a thoroughly professional working manner, and a wholehearted willingness to learn the publishing business.  He or she also accepts that this enterprise promises rewards that are more emotional than monetary.  In other words, only a person securely sustained through other income should consider taking this on.

      At the moment, there are very few copies of my book Military Brats: Legacies of Childhood Inside the Fortress available for purchase anywhere.  The digital version is out there, but paper copies are scarce.  I have not reprinted for the simple reason that it is time to do a 20th anniversary edition.  I am working on this.  It will have the same content—still relevant to all Baby Boomer brats—but with a new, long preface about what’s happened over the last 20 years, plus a study guide at the back.    Whoever takes over Brightwell Publishing will have the new 20th anniversary edition as the business mainstay.

      Interested parties should contact me at this address:  mary@....
      Yours truly,
      Mary Edwards Wertsch

      New Book by Marilyn Celeste Morris

      It was a real Treat last night to see an email from my publisher that Once a Brat, Always a Brat, is now "live" on Amazon.com.

      Brat: Def: (1) An unruly child Def: (2) A child of the military. We wear the Brat name with pride. Those who argue that the term is demeaning simply don t understand. Once a Brat, Always a Brat is not intended to be a serious study of children of the military. It is neither an apology nor a rallying cry for our unique experiences. While some of my fellow Military Brats, missionary kids, children of the diplomatic corps, oil company employees offspring and others raised outside their home country may find similarities in my narrative, I must emphasize that the first part of this book is based solely on events transpiring between 1938 and 1958, with comments on how the Military Brat experience affected my life. Other Military Brats have contributed to this book, writing about their experiences in their own words. A Resources section is included for those who are seeking information about the various organizations who can offer advice and counsel to our current Military Brats and their families.

      About the Author
      As one of the first dependents to be sent overseas at the end of WWII, eight-year old Marilyn Celeste Morris received her very own orders from The War Department. From Seoul, Korea to Linz, Austria, she traversed the globe from 1938 to 1958 with her Army Officer father, mother and younger brothers. Between assignments in the primitive world of the Far East, to the sublime luxury of exploring castles in Bavaria, the family shuttled between the various Stateside Forts: Bragg, Bliss, Hood and Sill. Sometimes hilarious, sometimes gut-wrenchingly sad, her narrative is part travelogue, part therapy session. She still cries at Taps and stands tall when the colors pass; yet she realizes she carries an odd mixture of pride and resentment over her nomadic way of life. Her conclusion, however, is that she wouldn't have had it any other way. Once a Brat, Always a Brat.

      To opt-out of our newsletter please login to edit your record and check the appropriate boxes or click the link at the bottom of this email.

      Unable to view the newsletter? Visit http://www.militarybrat.com/Nov2010news.htm