Re: [Governors Island Brats]

  • kay stevens
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
      Shout out to GI Brats:

      Ellen is working on the history of the Castle. I have talked to her and given her my info but we definitely don't want my shaking memories to be the only ones relayed.  I only remember going up one flight of stairs to the Teen Club.  Once inside the pool table room was to the right.  To the left was the dance room and stage.  The TV room was on the other side of the dance room.  The batrhrooms were painted bright yellow, the danceroom was black and we signed our names on the walls.  Pam Copeland drew a sphinx.  Does anyone have corrections to that?

      When you get together next week could you chat about what else was at the Castle and your recollections?  And I think I remember that the toilets were still in the cells when we wandered thru there, anyone remember that?  I don't know how we got back there -- I know we weren't supposed to be in the cells.  I think I remember some playgroung equipment in the outside center but I don't remember anything about a daycare.

      Deidra, is the Philsophy site still going?  Could you ask them what their memories, of the Castle, are?
      And while I'm on-line: happy birthday to David Johnson, today is his big day.

      Kay
      '69-'74

      From: esnydergrenier <emsnyder3@comcast. net>
      Subject: [Governors Island Brats] Photos of the community center in Castle Williams for NPS exhibit?
      To: governorsislandbrat s2@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, July 12, 2010, 5:32 AM

      Hello all,

      I am a museum consultant working on a small, outdoor exhibition about Castle Williams for the National Park Service on Governors Island. The exhibition is scheduled to open in 2011.

      I have been having a hard time finding photographs relating to Castle Williams from the Coast Guard era. In particular, I'm trying to find photographs of the community center that was briefly at Castle Williams--the teen center, daycare center, Boy Scout meetings, etc.

      Does anyone possibly have photographs, or know who I should contact?

      Any advice would be greatly appreciated! !!

      Ellen Snyder-Grenier, museum consultant
      emsnyder3@comcast. net

    • Leah Moon Becton
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
        My mother worked at the daycare center - and I used to go with her...It was downstairs and (in my memory) was very dark and dingy...There were little see-saws that were covered in (I think) indoor-outdoor carpet and they had high chairs and big foam blocks that you could walk on - I think there were some that were connected and looked like stairs...????  I didn't like it there...

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
          Hello all,

          Thank you, Kay for the shout out, and thank you all who are sharing such great memories about Castle Williams--it is so, so helpful. Any further thoughts that you have after the reunion would be greatly appreciated--have a fabulous time!

          With gratitude, Ellen Snyder-Grenier

          Ellen M. Snyder-Grenier
          Museum Consultant
          188 Springfield Avenue