  • Sherri Eger
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      Wow, where do I begin.  I lived on G.I. from age 3-16 (1977 to the early 1990's)  In kindergarten I had Mrs. Fader, boy I never seen a person look that old I thought she was a 101 (kinda scary at age 5).  My room was on the corner of the green staircase on the side entrance closest to the old boat outside.  I first lived in bldg 844 apt 2-C and remembering that the island was so safe I was able to walk to and from school by myself.  Then I lived in bldg 877.  Those were  the days of running in the halls playing hide and go seek w/ everyone.  We made the security guards in that building work for their money chasing after us all the time.  Later on in my teens I moved to bldg 866 1-H. Now these years I would be here all day talking about. I do remember all the teens around our age use to sneak out at night and walk around the island (but eventually we got caught)  Here's a break down of some of my memories on G.I.

      THINGS I REMEMBER ABOUT P.S. 26:

      MRS. FADER (she was a feisty little thing)
      MRS. WEINTRAUB (I remember her being sharp even back then)
      MR. WILLIAMS ( and his infamous "safeties"-I loved those badges)
      BIG HOT PRETZELS (for lunch .25c ea. u could not forget mustard)
      GIRLS BATHROOM (w/ the round sink w/ the foot-pedal that we all use to play around in)
      THE AUDITORIUM (that had four entrances, I remember the book fairs, picture days, little class performances and movies)
      SCHOOL PLAYGROUND (the tall metal slide, the round monkey bars(loved to hang upside down & we played tag but u couldn't touch the ground), the old stinky boat, the tall curly slide, soccer field, the big Christmas tree that they lit up every year and gave out hot chocolate.

      Oh, I also remember the little carnivals we had at P.S. it's my first memory of moon-bounces.

      THINGS ABOUT G.I. I LOVED:

      TEEN CENTER (all of them)
      THE MOAT (we use to play hide and go seek there)
      CASTLE WILLIAMS (now that was fun but very scary we always seemed to play at night, all the guys enjoyed scaring us to death)
      COAST GUARD DAY( could not wait for those shush-kabobs, playing  in the helicopter on the golf course, water ice, cotton candy, all the families would eat burgers and such under the tents set up at P.S. 26.
      MOVIE THEATER (boy those were the days, everything from first Disney movie to first KISS)
      YEARLY TALENT SHOWS(we performed won 2nd or 3rd we were the first "America's Best Dance Crew" lol)
      BOWLING ALLEY (I can't tell u how much I spent on video games especially on Atari Pole Position with the three steering wheels.)
      BURGER KING (my first job-me, Trinita, Ali, and Sharon we use to act up)
      SWIMMING POOLS (tanning, getting dunked, jumping off the high-dive, and the pool parties at night)
      WATCHING THE BOYS PLAY B-BALL (a summer time must)
      FOGHORN ALLEY (we had some great family bbq's there)
      "THE CIRCLE" between bldg 844-855-866 was great for riding bikes, hop-scotch, ice skating, hockey and rollerskating.
      THE MERRY-GO-ROUND (Notorious for "King of the Hill" wars, and barfing)
      PEOPLE I REMEMBER : Angela Zieziulewicz, Trinita Sanders, Rekiya Sanders,Nancy Coppola, Cathy Coppola, Meredith Scottron, Ali and Melissa, Susan Arnold, Mitch Arnold, John Arnold, David Waldron, Gilbert Smith, Paul Fergoso, Zippy, Rachel Dio, Michelle Dio, Alana Houston, Rodney Rodriguez, Greg (his father RIP), Andy Koch, Kristen Wreck,  Katie McGowan, Jill Mason, Brittany, Marcus Freedman, Jeff, Michael Miller, Eric Miller(he had beautiful eyes1 green eye&1 blue eye), Bryce and Dax, Frank, Sergio, Earl (R.I.P.), Diane, Donna and Christine and their little skateboarder boyfriends can't remember their names , Paul Ebinger, Gia, Astrid, Brandi, Jennifer Humphrey, Tasheema, Hector, Danny Nguyen, and so many more....

      I hope to visit G.I. before anymore demolition happens, and take that trip down memory lane.
      Sherri

    • Jenny Humphres
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

        Hey Sherri!

        Great memories!!!!

        Remember eeehhhhhhh........ being shouted out to each other across the softball fields?  I totally remember your beautiful smile and fun attitude.  I can see it now with a few freckles sprinkled on your nose.  Wasn't your mom from Guam?  It is good to see you here on board and hey, you mentioned me in the names.... I am so honored!  Sometimes I realize how "nerdy" I was back then.

        Jenny Humphres - Hlebakos

        To: governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
          I was on the island from 1978 to 1984. I lived in Building
          855 and also had Ms. Fader as a teacher. She was scary (and a bit
          impatient for a kindergarten teacher). I was in her class in 1980. I
          remember several of the people you listed: Trinita Sanders, Rekiya
          Sanders (we had the same baby sitter),Gilbert Smith (and his siser
          Michelle?), Paul Fergoso, and Tasheema. I knew them all fairly
          well. Gilbert used to play football and baseball out behind 855 with
          me, Arthur Ray (a.ka. Lee J), Haryn Singleton (a.ka. Poppa), Ronnie
          Blount, Clifford and Mendell, Jasper (a.k.a. Christian), Matthew
          Gallante, and so many others. Lots of memories. Someone posted
          pictures of my kindergarten, second grade and fourth grade classes (I
          belive in the photo section of this website). You probably will
          recognize many of the faces.

          --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, Sherri Eger

        • DFabio7450@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
            OH Gawd...I'm old.  Speaking of old, a very happy birthday to you Sharon McKew!!!
            xo

            <egersherri@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
            barfing)
            > PEOPLE I REMEMBER : Angela Zieziulewicz, Trinita Sanders, Rekiya
            Sanders,Nancy Coppola, Cathy Coppola, Meredith Scottron, Ali and
            Melissa, Susan Arnold, Mitch Arnold, John Arnold, David Waldron,
            Gilbert Smith, Paul Fergoso, Zippy, Rachel Dio, Michelle Dio, Alana
            Houston, Rodney Rodriguez, Greg (his father RIP), Andy Koch, Kristen
            Wreck,  Katie McGowan, Jill Mason, Brittany, Marcus Freedman, Jeff,
            Michael Miller, Eric Miller(he had beautiful eyes1 green eye&1 blue
            eye), Bryce and Dax, Frank, Sergio, Earl (R.I.P..), Diane, Donna and
            Christine and their little skateboarder boyfriends can't remember
            their names , Paul Ebinger, Gia, Astrid, Brandi, Jennifer Humphrey,
            Tasheema, Hector, Danny Nguyen, and so many more....

            > I hope to visit G.I. before anymore demolition happens, and take

          • SHEILA COXE
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
              My thoughts exactly! I read that and was thinking hmmmmmmm I started kindergarten when??? 1960............. and my mother and I were talking about how much we look ALIKE this afternoon (she is 76) arghhhhhhhh

              Sheila J Coxe
              scoxe@...

              <egersherri@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
              barfing)
              > PEOPLE I REMEMBER : Angela Zieziulewicz, Trinita Sanders, Rekiya
              Sanders,Nancy Coppola, Cathy Coppola, Meredith Scottron, Ali and
              Melissa, Susan Arnold, Mitch Arnold, John Arnold, David Waldron,
              Gilbert Smith, Paul Fergoso, Zippy, Rachel Dio, Michelle Dio, Alana
              Houston, Rodney Rodriguez, Greg (his father RIP), Andy Koch, Kristen
              Wreck,  Katie McGowan, Jill Mason, Brittany, Marcus Freedman, Jeff,
              Michael Miller, Eric Miller(he had beautiful eyes1 green eye&1 blue
              eye), Bryce and Dax, Frank, Sergio, Earl (R.I.P..), Diane, Donna and
              Christine and their little skateboarder boyfriends can't remember
              their names , Paul Ebinger, Gia, Astrid, Brandi, Jennifer Humphrey,
              Tasheema, Hector, Danny Nguyen, and so many more....

              > I hope to visit G.I. before anymore demolition happens, and take

            • Nancy Leilani
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                Happy Birthday Sharon

                <egersherri@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                barfing)
                > PEOPLE I REMEMBER : Angela Zieziulewicz, Trinita Sanders, Rekiya
                Sanders,Nancy Coppola, Cathy Coppola, Meredith Scottron, Ali and
                Melissa, Susan Arnold, Mitch Arnold, John Arnold, David Waldron,
                Gilbert Smith, Paul Fergoso, Zippy, Rachel Dio, Michelle Dio, Alana
                Houston, Rodney Rodriguez, Greg (his father RIP), Andy Koch, Kristen
                Wreck,  Katie McGowan, Jill Mason, Brittany, Marcus Freedman, Jeff,
                Michael Miller, Eric Miller(he had beautiful eyes1 green eye&1 blue
                eye), Bryce and Dax, Frank, Sergio, Earl (R.I.P..), Diane, Donna and
                Christine and their little skateboarder boyfriends can't remember
                their names , Paul Ebinger, Gia, Astrid, Brandi, Jennifer Humphrey,
                Tasheema, Hector, Danny Nguyen, and so many more....

                > I hope to visit G.I. before anymore demolition happens, and take

              • Heather Voden
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Hi Ron & Sherri -
                  I was also on the island around that time and had Ms. Fader for
                  kindergarten. I always thought she was really old and scary. I was
                  on GI from 1978 - 1981 so I was only there for Pre-school,
                  Kindergarten and 1st Grade (I think I had Ms. Cohen for 1st, but not
                  totally sure if that's her name). If I did the math correctly I
                  would have been in Ms. Fader's 79 - 80 class. Since I was so young,
                  I don't have a great memory of names anymore, but I do remember
                  loving living there. Do you guys remember Flip up Day? I think it
                  was either Monday's or Fridays and during recess all the boys would
                  run around flipping up the girls skirts. I HATED that. One time some
                  boy flipped up my skirt and I got so mad that I slapped him across
                  the face and then he went ahead and slapped me back (LOL). So I
                  stormed off, walked home and freaked my mom out. She made me change
                  into pants and marched me back to school. Ahhhh the memories.

                  Sherri - I would never have remembered on my own, but I also LOVED
                  those round sinks with the foot pedals in the bathrooms. I also
                  loved watching the fireworks on the 4th of July and absolutely
                  thought Halloween was the best. Where else could you get so much
                  candy in so little time. Just got over to the hi-rises and you were
                  done in 15 minutes. We moved to the D.C. suburbs in Maryland after
                  GI and it would take hours and hours to get a decent amount of
                  candy - haha.

                  Anyway, thanks so much for bringing back some memories. I was really
                  hoping to get back this year for a visit, but I live in San
                  Francisco now so I couldn't quite make the trip. Definitely going to
                  try for next summer. Hopefully some things will still be there.

                  Heather Voden
                  Bldg 112, Apt C2
                  '78 - '81

                  --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <rwnstl@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > Melissa, Susan Arnold, Mitch Arnold, John Arnold, David Waldron,
                  > Gilbert Smith, Paul Fergoso, Zippy, Rachel Dio, Michelle Dio,
                  Alana
                  > Houston, Rodney Rodriguez, Greg (his father RIP), Andy Koch,
                  Kristen
                  > Wreck,  Katie McGowan, Jill Mason, Brittany, Marcus Freedman,
                  Jeff,
                  > Michael Miller, Eric Miller(he had beautiful eyes1 green eye&1
                  blue
                  > eye), Bryce and Dax, Frank, Sergio, Earl (R.I.P..), Diane, Donna
                  and
                  > Christine and their little skateboarder boyfriends can't remember
                  > their names , Paul Ebinger, Gia, Astrid, Brandi, Jennifer
                  Humphrey,
                  > Tasheema, Hector, Danny Nguyen, and so many more....
                  > >
                  > > I hope to visit G.I. before anymore demolition happens, and take

                • Shari Lawrence
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2008
                    God, I feel old...all of you guys were so long after my time (1966-1969) -- but funny there are a lot of the same memories...we were in 866-2I...right by the stairwell.  It was such an amazing place to live...and so hard to say good-bye.  Thanks for sharing your "take" on GI...we truly are the lucky ones.

                    Shari Lawrence
                    Deputy Public Affairs Officer
                    U.S. Army Human Resources Command
                    Alexandria, Virginia

> [...]
                    barfing)
                    > PEOPLE I REMEMBER : Angela Zieziulewicz, Trinita Sanders, Rekiya
                    Sanders,Nancy Coppola, Cathy Coppola, Meredith Scottron, Ali and
                    Melissa, Susan Arnold, Mitch Arnold, John Arnold, David Waldron,
                    Gilbert Smith, Paul Fergoso, Zippy, Rachel Dio, Michelle Dio, Alana
                    Houston, Rodney Rodriguez, Greg (his father RIP), Andy Koch, Kristen
                    Wreck,  Katie McGowan, Jill Mason, Brittany, Marcus Freedman, Jeff,
                    Michael Miller, Eric Miller(he had beautiful eyes1 green eye&1 blue
                    eye), Bryce and Dax, Frank, Sergio, Earl (R.I.P..), Diane, Donna and
                    Christine and their little skateboarder boyfriends can't remember
                    their names , Paul Ebinger, Gia, Astrid, Brandi, Jennifer Humphrey,
                    Tasheema, Hector, Danny Nguyen, and so many more....

                    > I hope to visit G.I. before anymore demolition happens, and take

                  • Dan Dabrowski
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 8, 2008
                      We're not old Shari, just pioneers for the CG brats.
                                                                                  Peace,
                                                                                  Dan Dabrowski 66-71