What Goes Around...Comes Around

  • mhallock001
    Message 1 of 55 , Feb 2, 2008
      My name is Mike Hallock. My family was on Governors Island from
      1969-1973 and from 1975-1979. I heard about the reunion, after the
      fact, sorry I missed it. I saw some familiar names the times I
      lurked around the site after that.

      But to get to the main point of this message, I thought some of you
      guys would enjoy hearing that there is a very good chance my
      daughter will be to JHS 104 Simon Baruch next year. Except that it
      is a middle school now, not a Junior High School. I actually never
      attended Baruch, we were not on base at that time, but almost
      everyone else who was going to public school in that age group did.
      I caught up with them all at Curtis.

      One thing that has certainly changed at Baruch, no more metal shop.
      You guys made one too many shivs that ended up in someone's backside
      I guess.

      If anyone is wondering how Baruch is holding up, etc, post a note, I
      will post an update in the fall.
    • DFabio7450@aol.com
      Message 55 of 55 , Mar 5 5:48 PM
        Purty cute!!!  Wished my Dr. had the book though!!!  Went to have the wrist rechecked after a period of time...to see if it were healed, looks at the cast on my arm and says, it can come off now.  X-ray Vision.  Dr. Superman.

        In a message dated 3/4/2008 1:46:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, pepperanniepixie@... writes:

        Kathy,
        You were so innocent back then, don't you know that they just liked your legs,lol Good thing you were so skinny and easy to carry back then.Actually you're still just as thin.

        I have a similiar dispensery story I went to the dispensery because my wrist was hurting, the Doctor takes an x-ray and says "I don't see anything wrong " what do you think and hands me the x-ray ( as if I would even know what to look for) 3 weeks later they call me and inform me that it actually was broken, the radiologist from the public health hospital on Staten Island had read it and found the break. So back to the dispensery to get a cast. The doctor or whatever he was brings in the same bucket they probably used on Kathy, plus a book on putting a cast on and proceeds to put it on while reading the "how to "section. I will never forget the guy reading outloud "position the hand as if it were holding a can" By time this guy was done I had a cast that was probably 10 pounds and about 10 times larger then it should have been.I eneded up a few weeks later at the public health hospital were,after everyone in the department had a good laugh, had it removed and a new one put on.

        Kathy Eby <keby219@yahoo. com> wrote:
        I also met a similar fate at the old teen club on a cold, Saturday night in January the same year.  The only light in the teen club was coming from the fireplace.  I tripped over a pile of firewood on the floor and broke my ankle.

        Dave Johnson carried me across the field and home only to find out my father had duty that night and both he and the car were gone.  More bad news for Dave.  He waited patiently while I slipped off into the bathroom to shave my legs.  Why this was so important when I was in so much pain, I do not know.  Most likely it was the modesty of a young fifteen year old girl.  All of you with daughters that age can relate.

        So off we go...Dave now carries me to the dispensary.  I am sitting on an exam table after the x-ray.  A guy comes in with a bucket that looks like it was taken from the janitor's closet.  He starts unrolling these strips of plaster and dunks them in the bucket, now filled with water and starts putting them around my leg.  He has about two or three strips on when another guy comes in and they talk to each other and point to my leg.  Seems as though they forgot something.  Oh yes, the stocking that goes on her leg before the plaster strips.  "Oh, yeah, let's get one of those,"  I hear.   Off comes the plaster strips; they wash and dry my leg.  They do finally get the cast done and issue me a set of crutches.

        Looking back, I wonder if it really was the janitor applying the cast.  Perhaps the real medic was out back smoking a doobie with the night nurse!  Pure speculation on my part but sometimes it's fun to embellish.

        Dave, I think you stayed with me through this.  I don't  remember how we got home, but I think you walked with me and showed me how to use the crutches.  I remember my mother asking us where we had been for so long and I do believe you were with me at the time.  She was worried, but hey, that's what mothers do.

        Getting to PS 104 on crutches in the winter wasn't any fun.  Vince and Hokie took over where Dave left off.  I was fortunate to have and still have such good friends.

        K.

        "Stormie (Conger)" <stormgator1@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        I also broke a bone (in a hidden place - my tailbone) I slipped on
        the thin sheet ice outside the old teen club in 1970, I could not
        walk more than baby steps and could not sit on the gym floor - but
        that is how I cam to eventually be a pool leader (they said I still
        had to take some kind of physical education- so instead of gym I was
        scheduled for the pool)and the rest is history...
        Stormie

        --- In governorsislandbrat s2@yahoogroups. com, Deena Sanders
        <corona_lady32608@ ...> wrote:

        > hmmm...mystery island - goes around giving out broken
        bones to kids...
        > may be some truth in that...
        > I also got a broken elbow one year - slipped on some ice and
        down I came on my elbow - not too bad only had to wear a splint (not
        a full cast -) for about 3-4 weeks at most I think it was.
        > Later!
        > -Deena
        > PS - Living in Florida too!!

        > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with
        Yahoo! Search.

        Blessings Light and always Love, Denise