New York Magazine article

  • makncheze
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,
      Just wanted to let you all know about the latest issue of New York Magazine as they have a
      long article about the designs and the designers for the open space remodel on Governors
      Island. Check it out here: http://nymag.com/news/features/32387/
      Also, now that I'm back living in NYC I've started volunteering with GIPEC and will be helping
      out over on GI various weekend days over the summer, I've been back to the Island quite a
      few times in the last few weeks for training and it's absolutely wonderful to see it teaming
      with life once again! This season they are opening up the ENTIRE historic distric to visitors
      (in the past the areas they opened were limited), and they will even have two of the historic
      houses open for people to actually walk thru (one in Nolan Park and one on Colonel's Row).
      There has been a lot of work done on the houses in Nolan Park, as they're slowly retrofitting
      all the buildings in the historic district, one by one. As a special treat for us volunteers,
      earlier this week as a very special aside on our practice tour they allowed us to go up to the
      roof of Castle Williams for a look around, which I don't remember ever getting to do as a kid
      in the 70's. It was amazing, although sadly it won't be part of the normal tours for visitors
      to the island when it opens this weekend due to safety issues.
      I know some of you are coming to visit this summer, so please look for me while you're
      there. I'll be the redhead with a volunteer badge on and a big huge smile on her face!
      Cyndi Goretski
    • joannburkett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
        HI Cyndi,

        Thank you so much for posting this. I'll be in NY June 27th- July
        1st. Planning on taking the tour Wed. June 27th, 5-7, as well as
        that Saturday. I have to make the reservation for the Wed. tour.
        There will be a few of us, if not more.
        How I wish I lived closer, I would definitely volunteer. How
        fortunate for you!!!
        So nice to see your enthusiasm!!! I will definitely look for you!!!!

        Hope to see you Cyndi!!

        JoAnn (Aguirre) Burkett

        --- In governorsislandbrats2@yahoogroups.com, "makncheze"