Re: Warrior Class

  • Justïn
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2008
      That was an awesome answer Lama, I actually have an obnoxious question
      the likes of which you would expect from an amateur Gothic enthusiast
      who's only had one 4000 level course in linguistics:

      How can I learn to do that? I want to be able to derive my own
      reconstructions from Proto-Germanic and back engineer my own words. If
      I could do that, I would post list after list of neologisms for
      scholarly criticisms until we had a veritable dictionary of Gothic
      words and phrases. Granted, this may be coming out of young-blood
      fervour but I am certainly interested in the back-engineering.

      Are there any pre-established guides and resources to these Gothic
      patterns, and which Proto-Germanic source are you using and where can I
      get one?

      Are we all using the same source for Proto-Germanic or is this in and
      of itself a highly debated issue of favouring this or that resource?
    • ualarauans
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 13, 2008

        > [...]
        > Are you familiar with the cartoon Ren and Stimpy? This reminds me
        of
        > the episode of that where they're space-travellers and Stimpy is
        > granted a wish, so he wishes they could go to "a place where there
        is
        > no sadness and the sun always shines"--which the wish-granting
        entity
        > promptly fulfills by sending them hurtling into the heart of the
        sun!

        That was Huitzilopochtli, for sure!

        > Now, the real challenge will be translating the hymn to the 400
        > Rabbits, tôtôchtin, of Drunkanness, which begins:
        >
        > Yyaha, yya yya, yya ayya, ayya ouiya, ayya yya, ayya yya, yyauiyya,
        > ayya ayya, yya ayya, yya yya yye.
        >
        > "Wai! Wai! etc."

        Awi auje wai waje...