Re: Warrior Class

    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2008
      The West Germanic forms point to Proto-Germanic *knehtaz, which would
      give Gothic *knaíhts. Icelandic uses a different word, 'riddari', a
      loan from North German (cognate with Modern High German 'Ritter'
      "knight", literally "rider"). The word is said to have been
      introduced into Norway as a title in 1277, but Einarr Skúlason's poem
      Geisli from the middle of the 12th century contains a related
      loanword, 'ríðari' "knight" (cognate with English 'rider' and Modern
      High German 'Reiter' "rider"). This could be back-engineered into
      Gothic as *reidareis.

      I haven't read all of this discussion, so appologies if I'm repeating
      what's already been suggested, but a more ancient alternative with
      similar connotations of warriorhood and service is Proto-Germanic
      *þegnaz (with cognates attested in Old Norse, Old English, Old Saxon
      and Old High German alliterative poetry), whence English 'thane'.
      This would give Gothic 'þigns'.

      Lama Nom

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Justïn <justinelf@...> wrote:

      > So, where does Knight and Knecht come from? Can you trace those
      > sources and backwords construct it using Proto-Germanic and predicting
      > what the change would have been, if the Goths followed the same
      > etymological patterns....etc.? Does Icelandic use a "knight" cognate
      > or another word/compound word altogether?
      >
      > Granted, there's no way of assuming that had the Goths survived to
      > establish feudalism; they would have used a word that remotely related
      > to "Knight," but hypothetically speaking...
      >
      > After all, it really depends on how much the person asking really wants
      > to honour chronology. If it were up to me Gothic would be
      > reconstructed in its entirety and there'd be neologisms for SUVs and
      > iPods.

    • ualarauans
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 13, 2008

        > [...]
        > Are you familiar with the cartoon Ren and Stimpy? This reminds me
        of
        > the episode of that where they're space-travellers and Stimpy is
        > granted a wish, so he wishes they could go to "a place where there
        is
        > no sadness and the sun always shines"--which the wish-granting
        entity
        > promptly fulfills by sending them hurtling into the heart of the
        sun!

        That was Huitzilopochtli, for sure!

        > Now, the real challenge will be translating the hymn to the 400
        > Rabbits, tôtôchtin, of Drunkanness, which begins:
        >
        > Yyaha, yya yya, yya ayya, ayya ouiya, ayya yya, ayya yya, yyauiyya,
        > ayya ayya, yya ayya, yya yya yye.
        >
        > "Wai! Wai! etc."

        Awi auje wai waje...