Re: Warrior Class

  • Justïn
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2008
      So, where does Knight and Knecht come from? Can you trace those
      sources and backwords construct it using Proto-Germanic and predicting
      what the change would have been, if the Goths followed the same
      etymological patterns....etc.? Does Icelandic use a "knight" cognate
      or another word/compound word altogether?

      Granted, there's no way of assuming that had the Goths survived to
      establish feudalism; they would have used a word that remotely related
      to "Knight," but hypothetically speaking...

      After all, it really depends on how much the person asking really wants
      to honour chronology. If it were up to me Gothic would be
      reconstructed in its entirety and there'd be neologisms for SUVs and
      iPods.
    • ualarauans
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 13, 2008

        > [...]
        > Are you familiar with the cartoon Ren and Stimpy? This reminds me
        of
        > the episode of that where they're space-travellers and Stimpy is
        > granted a wish, so he wishes they could go to "a place where there
        is
        > no sadness and the sun always shines"--which the wish-granting
        entity
        > promptly fulfills by sending them hurtling into the heart of the
        sun!

        That was Huitzilopochtli, for sure!

        > Now, the real challenge will be translating the hymn to the 400
        > Rabbits, tôtôchtin, of Drunkanness, which begins:
        >
        > Yyaha, yya yya, yya ayya, ayya ouiya, ayya yya, ayya yya, yyauiyya,
        > ayya ayya, yya ayya, yya yya yye.
        >
        > "Wai! Wai! etc."

        Awi auje wai waje...