Re: Warrior Class

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 4 7:45 PM
      Skalks is actually a slave (most often = Gr. DOULOS, also
      OIKETHS "domestic servant", PAIDARION "slave child"). Cf. also ga-
      skalki SUNDOULOS "Mitknecht" – it's neuter on –ja, looks more like a
      word for a thing, not for a living person. I don't think a Gothic
      warrior would be happy with these names for himself :) Still, you
      may use it if you mentally place your Goths into the High Middle
      Age, with its knights, heralds, noble ladies etc. Unfortunately, the
      historical Goths didn't live so long to develop a feudal terminology
      of their own. Words of their language pertain to realities of a
      different time. It's "master and slave", not "suzerain and vassal"
      which dominated the social landscape in the classic society and
      which is reflected in the language of the Gothic Bible. Some other
      Old germanic translations, less dependent on the original text, were
      making use of the Germanic social terminology. That's why you can
      occasionally find Jesus depicted as a Germanic warlord and the
      disciples as his "optimates" (guardsmen), e.g. OHG druhtin and
      thegana in Otfrid von Weissenburg's Evangelienbuch. In Gothic, these
      were *drauhtins and gadrauhts (pl. gadrauhteis) respectively. For
      the latter, you can also opt for reconstructed poeticisms (based on
      ON): *drauhtimagus, *drauhtiguma and the like. *drauhtifaþs
      (Gen. -fadis) for *drauhtins seems also possible.

      In a few written sources of the Migration period the Latinized word
      sculca (Gr. SKOULKA) is used for some kind of military service. It
      might be cognate to skalks, although there's a Latin etymology (from
      exculcare).

      In Langobardic laws it is glossed: sculca id est cabalcata, or: id
      est custodire aliquam rem [http://mdz10.bib-
      bvb.de/~db/bsb00000878/images/index.html?id=00000878&nativeno=300]

      See also: [http://books.google.com/books?id=-
      9TtkWNMNhIC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=sculca&source=web&ots=C4KxcGMd0J&sig=
      ghLqMKCDWFP9adyB5W0Y6sCJzEk]
      [http://www.northvegr.org/lore/germaniclaw/003.php].

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Rutgur,
      >
      > An employed fighter/warrior (cf. German 'Knecht', Sw. 'knekt') is
      > called 'skalks'. This, however, is in a household and if it has a
      > bearing for army titles I do not know.
      >
      > Best
      > Ingemar
      >

      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Rutgur" <rutgur@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Did the Goths have particular word their Warrior Class? .for the
      > Leadership
      > > for their Warrior Class? I'm wondering if they had a
      functionally
      > > equivalent word for "knight", at least as it relates to warfare &
      > the army.

    • ualarauans
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 13 1:46 PM

        > [...]
        > Are you familiar with the cartoon Ren and Stimpy? This reminds me
        of
        > the episode of that where they're space-travellers and Stimpy is
        > granted a wish, so he wishes they could go to "a place where there
        is
        > no sadness and the sun always shines"--which the wish-granting
        entity
        > promptly fulfills by sending them hurtling into the heart of the
        sun!

        That was Huitzilopochtli, for sure!

        > Now, the real challenge will be translating the hymn to the 400
        > Rabbits, tôtôchtin, of Drunkanness, which begins:
        >
        > Yyaha, yya yya, yya ayya, ayya ouiya, ayya yya, ayya yya, yyauiyya,
        > ayya ayya, yya ayya, yya yya yye.
        >
        > "Wai! Wai! etc."

        Awi auje wai waje...