Re: [gothic-l] Re: Warrior Class

  • Valulfr_Vaerulsson@runewolf.org
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 4, 2008
      Hail Rutgur and Ingemar,

      There is also the 'drauhtin' or 'war-lord'. I'm not sure what exactly the
      function was on the battle field, but I do that the word came down into Old
      Norse as 'drótt' meaning the 'warrior-band', and 'dróttinn' as war-lord, and
      eventually as 'Lord'or'God' in a Christian sense.

      Walawulf

      Quoting Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar@...>:

      > Hi Rutgur,
      >
      > An employed fighter/warrior (cf. German 'Knecht', Sw. 'knekt') is
      > called 'skalks'. This, however, is in a household and if it has a
      > bearing for army titles I do not know.
      >
      > Best
      > Ingemar
      >

      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Rutgur" <rutgur@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Did the Goths have particular word their Warrior Class? .for the
      > Leadership
      > > for their Warrior Class? I'm wondering if they had a functionally
      > > equivalent word for "knight", at least as it relates to warfare &
      > the army.

    • ualarauans
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 13, 2008

        > [...]
        > Are you familiar with the cartoon Ren and Stimpy? This reminds me
        of
        > the episode of that where they're space-travellers and Stimpy is
        > granted a wish, so he wishes they could go to "a place where there
        is
        > no sadness and the sun always shines"--which the wish-granting
        entity
        > promptly fulfills by sending them hurtling into the heart of the
        sun!

        That was Huitzilopochtli, for sure!

        > Now, the real challenge will be translating the hymn to the 400
        > Rabbits, tôtôchtin, of Drunkanness, which begins:
        >
        > Yyaha, yya yya, yya ayya, ayya ouiya, ayya yya, ayya yya, yyauiyya,
        > ayya ayya, yya ayya, yya yya yye.
        >
        > "Wai! Wai! etc."

        Awi auje wai waje...