Greek Text available to Wulfilius

  • Le Bateman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
      What Greek Text was available to Ulfilius to translate the Gothic
      Scriptures? Did he have accesses to First Century text from the Apostles?
      Le
    • Le Bateman
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
        Is there possibly a translation of Josephus in Gothic? Wonder how they
        would have translated Book XIX of the Wars of the Jews?
        Le
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
          The traditional interpretation is that Wulfila used an early
          Byzantine text, and later copyists borrowed elements from late
          Western texts (and switched the order of the gospels). I'm not
          convinced.

          The earliest still-complete texts date to the 4th century, and there
          were already substantial differences.

          Mike
        • Le Bateman
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
            Thanks Mike
            Were the Goths familiar with the works of Josephus and other writers
            of the 1st Century?
            Le