Translation Havamal to Goth

  • Ginés
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2007
      Hi

      I have to make a translation:

      Wounded I hung on a wind-swept gallows
      For nine long nights,
      Pierced by a spear, pledged to Odhinn,
      Offered, myself to myself
      The wisest know not from whence spring
      The roots of that ancient rood

      139

      They gave me no bread,
      They gave me no mead,
      I looked down;
      with a loud cry
      I took up runes;
      from that tree I fell.

      140

      Nine lays of power
      I learned from the famous Bolthor, Bestla' s father:
      He poured me a draught of precious mead,
      Mixed with magic Odrerir.

      141

      Waxed and throve well;
      Word from word gave words to me,
      Deed from deed gave deeds to me,

      142

      Runes you will find, and readable staves,
      Very strong staves,
      Very stout staves,
      Staves that Bolthor stained,
      Made by mighty powers,
      Graven by the prophetic god,

      143

      For the gods by Odhinn, for the elves by Dain,
      By Dvalin, too, for the dwarves,
      By Asvid for the hateful giants,
      And some I carved myself:
      Thund, before man was made, scratched them,
      Who rose first, fell thereafter

      144

      Know how to cut them, know how to read them,
      Know how to stain them, know how to prove them,
      Know how to evoke them, know how to score them,
      Know how to send them"; know how to send them,

      145

      Better not to ask than to over-pledge
      As a gift that demands a gift";
      Better not to send than to slay too many,

      This is the discovery of the runes by Odin

      Are there something about this in Goth?
      Can you help me?

      Regards
    • ualarauans
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2007
        Hi,

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Ginés <tyr_wardjo@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have to make a translation:
        > [snip]
        >
        > This is the discovery of the runes by Odin
        >
        > Are there something about this in Goth?
        > Can you help me?
        >
        > Regards

        You may need to go to Theudiskon
        (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Theudiskon/) archive and search
        the thread "Háuhins mêla 139" and related (approx. November 2006).
        An attempt was made by some members (including me) to translate
        Hávamál from Old Norse into Gothic. Although the project failed to
        get completed (as virtually all projects of this kind do), it
        triggered some interesting and educative discussions. Have a nice
        reading.

        Ualarauans