Element word

  • Fredrik
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2007
      The element aluminium/aluminum comes from latin alumen which means alum.

      The word alumen is made of the root alu- and the common -men ending.
      The same root (which means bitter) exists in the germanic word aluth
      which is the origine of english 'ale'.
      Even north germanic has it, as in swedish öl.

      Since germanic has the same ending as latin -men, a similar word could
      be constructed (if it didn't exist). And then also a gothic form.

      I suppose it would be 'aluma' (wm) in gothic. And the meaning 'alum'.

      From that word could we create the word 'alumastafs' =
      aluminium/aluminum.

      What do you think about that, huh?

      /Fredrik