Re: identification of Flutausis as Cogaeanus

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 19, 2007
      Hi,

      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, Frederick Louis Scoggins
      <scoggins3375@...> wrote:

      > Once again the historian Jordanes was incorrect in identifying the
      > Gepidae as German.

      Gepidae were not German, but (East) Germanic. Jordanes was correct
      in identifying them as the closest kinsmen of the Goths.

      > Please stop using his flawed historical assumptions.
      > They (the Gepidae) were never of that stock but alleged to have
      been a
      > remnant of the Sumerians.

      Perhaps you would like to come up with some evidence in favor of
      this phantastic assumption?

      > They (Gepidae) were destroyed by Trajan in the
      > 2d Century A.D. What remained of the ancient Dacians, the Gepidae
      were
      > absorbed by the later Huns, Magyars and other Slavs.

      The Huns and the Magyars (Hungarians) are not Slavs if you
      understand the term as it ought to be understood properly, i.e. as a
      name covering peoples of different ethnic origin speaking IE derived
      Slavic languages. The language of the present day Hungarians is
      Finno-Ugric, brought into Central Europe by the Magyar tribes in the
      9-10th ct. CE. After their settling down in what is now Hungary
      ("Honfoglalas") they assimilated some Slavic and probably also
      Germanic speaking groups which had preceded them in that territory.
      Which doesn't make them Slavic nor Germanic, of course. What
      concerns the Huns, we still don't know exactly what language
      the "true Huns" did speak. In fact, the Huns were a collective name
      for all members of the Hunnish tribal union, be they Germanic
      (Ostrogoths, Gepidae, Heruls, Sciri), Iranian (Alans, Sarmatians) or
      of any other descent, including some proto-Slavs too, maybe. The
      language of Attila's court at least seems to have been Gothic. But
      little is certain here.

      > Here is a good
      > scientific research project, examine the Gepidae DNA/RNA with
      present
      > day Dacians, Bulgars and Romanians.

      There are no present day Dacians. Not since 4-5th ctt. CE. They were
      totally romanized soon after Trajan's conquest.

      > Match with the DNA of Sumerians and
      > see what the human genome says.

      I wonder where you would get a sample of the DNA of the Sumerians
      who became extinct several thousands of years ago. I read somewhere
      that some researchers found distinctive genes in Kuwait and were
      speculating that Kuwaitis are the genetic descendants of the
      Sumerians. But this I think is also far from being granted.

      > Frederick Louis Scoggins

      Ualarauans
    • ualarauans
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 19, 2007
        Hi,

        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "dciurchea" <dciurchea@...> wrote:

        [...]
        > the official name is
        > Neamtz(usually denoting a german; the word is actually formed
        > starting from the root "neam"=stock), as an euphemism for foreigner,

        The word is borrowed from Slavic (OCSl. nEmici) where it universally
        denotes German (from OCSl. nEm-u "dumb", "mute", originally "a dumb
        person" > "a non-Slavic speaker").

        > I am glad to learn that the toponimic transcripted by Jordannes was
        > in fact genuine Romanian (i.e. Wallachian), as with Galtis on Alutha.

        When Jordanes was writing Getica the Romanian language did not exist
        yet.

        Ualarauans
      • Decebal-Radu C
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2012
          recently a youtube channel contains a story : "Navigatori care dispar, director Iancu Moscu, 1976" i.e. "Sailors disappearing",
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DBWgGrrmU
          which tells the story of raftsmen on Bistriza/Siret, the swifty river "whirling" into Danube. I identified this river as Iordanes' Flutausis because of Floating=lat.flutare i.e. the eng. rafting.

          The bussiness dissapeared after the 1960's because of a dam, the Bicaz dam(http://www.neamt.ro/Date_gen/Bicaz/Lac_Izv_Muntelui.html).

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCRGL0gf4Fo
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmEIlGcBdLM&feature=related
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqLeN6xvW_0&feature=related

          --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "dciurchea" <dciurchea@...> wrote:

          > "In the land of Scythia to the westward dwells, first of 33
          > all, the race of the Gepidae, surrounded by great and
          > famous rivers. For the Tisia flows through it on the
          > north and northwest, and on the southwest is the great
          > Danube. On the east it is cut by the Flutausis, a swiftly
          > eddying stream that sweeps whirling into the Ister's
          > waters. Within these rivers lies Dacia, encircled by the 34
          > lofty Alps as by a crown." Jordannes:V
          > (The Project Gutenberg eBook, The Origin and Deeds of the Goths, by
          > Jordanes, Translated by Charles C. Mierow
          > http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14809 : V)
          >
          > The name of the river should be Plautausis (i.e. in modern
          > Romanian 'plutashi', eng. raftsmen).
          > Indeed, this river which today starts in the mountains as Bistritza
          > and later as Siret down to the Danube was used by raftsmen until
          > 1969 to convey timber down to Danube and therefore may be taken
          > as "Plutashi">>Plauta(u)si(s), the border of Gepidia with Caucoensi.
          > According to a decent map derived from Ptolemy
          > (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/macedonia_1849.jpg) the
          > name of this river is "Cogaeonus", i.e. a name related to the Getic
          > sacred mountain Kogaion.
          > The term "koga" is used locally today as an insult for the
          > strangers, foreigners (not in dictionaries); the official name is
          > Neamtz(usually denoting a german; the word is actually formed
          > starting from the root "neam"=stock), as an euphemism for foreigner,
          > since today there is a small ucrainean community there; perhaps in
          > antiquity Starbon(7:3:5) was told about the "Kogaionon" the border.
          >
          > I am glad to learn that the toponimic transcripted by Jordannes was
          > in fact genuine Romanian (i.e. Wallachian), as with Galtis on Alutha.

        • OSCAR HERRE
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2012
            i  would just like to imput something that maybe someone mite be more up to date on....im talking about the the ameican movie, conan the barbarian starring arnold swarzenegger......just curious, but how true is this movie.....if you follow it it says conan was like a celtic person, that was supposedly captured by germanic renegades and then let go by his captives.....so furthur into the movie conan and his friends are hired by this king named osiric, which im thinking is a gothic cheiftain, to rescue his daughter....also the friends of conan are of asian heritage which indicates this occurred in or around the black sea area, north of the balkans....any ideas about this movie....

            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2012
              Hi, thanks for reading my post.

              I was serious about the identification of that river with Flutausis=Raftsmen, that's why I thought that films are relevant for the "RAFTSMANS'" concept for Flutausis.

              Alike, I read your previous post on Qualis/Galtis as castle in Spain. I have no scholar reference on this observation of yours in this group. Galata in Constantinople is an example. I identified Galtis on Aucha as Galati on Aluta as today's Fagaras (of which the village Galati is a suburb); this is the only castle on Alutus(Olt)!

              So, in the end, I take you seriously and I provide you with proofs !

              I was convinced about these identifications I make after seeing in the tumulus at Cucuteni(Baiceni) the pillars told by Odin in Yinglinga for the chieftains and more, the antlers in the tomb of a "Sarmis Basileis" guy, said Fin the 6th(Fin is an ancestor of Odin in the sagas).

              These are artefacts in museums in my town (Cluj-Napoca), where Vandals are supposed to have lived, according to Iordanes.

              I try my best to provide the scholars in this list with genuine data and interpretations and I take you personally very seriously.

              Now, after hundred of years of archeological and other scholar research we may have a better understanding, based on artefacts and scholar connexions, on the many theories about the migrations from around the Baltic towards Transilvania (where Cluj-Napoca should have therole of capital and has the largest museum and most of the "gepidic" tumuli).