Re: [gothic-l] Spanish toponimes of germanic origin [Was: Toledo (Norman template)]

  • Michael Erwin
    Message 1 of 53 , Jul 22, 2007
      Hails,

      I'm afraid your email formatting is screwed up and I can't reply
      below. The map shows dense concentrations of Germanic place-names in
      the far northwest, i.e. the Swabisk area, a local concentration in
      northern Catalonia, and few elsewhere. I think this shows that they
      are better at identifying West-Germanic place-names than East-
      Germanic ones, and nothing else.

      Mike

      On Jul 18, 2007, at 4:39 PM, Rydwlf wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > I have the feeling that the issue of Spanish toponimes of germanic
      > origin has been debated some time in the past in this same list. I
      > am sure about the germanic (specially gothic) origin of some
      > settlements, mostly villages (that still retain the name). There is
      > a high number of examples.
      >
      > I have done some research with Google but all the information I
      > find is quite fragmentary. Anyway if you're interested I can try to
      > give a list of webpages dealing with the issue (and mentioning
      > quite a lot of examples), and some book references.
      >
      > Figure 15 in the following page can give a rough idea of the
      > distribution of toponimes of germanic origin in Iberia.
      > Unfortunately I cannot quote the sources, but the author probably
      > does so in some page of his work (sorry but I'm short of time today).
      > http://libro.uca.edu/stanislawski/portugal.htm
      >
      > Hope it helps,
      > Ryd.

    • Michael Erwin