Infinitives

  • Le Bateman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
      Is there a website I can go to, to learn the Gothic Grammar. How were
      Infinitives form? Were all classes of verbs used to form the Infinitives?
      Le
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2007
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Le Bateman" <LeBateman@...> wrote:

        > Is there a website I can go to, to learn the Gothic Grammar.

        Hi Le,

        http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/gotol-TC.html
        http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/etc/aa_texts.html

        You might also need to track down some introduction to traditional
        grammatical terms, as knowledge of these is often assumed by such
        books/sites. Maybe someone else can recommend a good site for that?
        You can learn a lot with an internet search engine, or by looking up
        terms at Wikipedia, e.g. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinitive ].
        It might be worth spending a little time studying a better known
        language for which it will be easier to find resources aimed at beginners.

        > How were Infinitives form?

        The infinitive ends in -an, except in one class of verbs where it ends
        in -on. The form of the root used is that of the present tense.

        qiman "to come"
        giban "to give"
        nasjan "to save"
        fullnan "to be filled"

        luston "to desire"

        Were all classes of verbs used to form the Infinitives?

        As far as I know, every Gothic verb (of whatever class) would have an
        infinitive form. But because only a small amount of Gothic has
        survived in manuscripts, verbs are often only recorded in one or a few
        forms, so sometimes the infinitive has to be reconstructed.
        Historical linguists use an asterisk * before a word to show that it
        is a reconstruction, not recorded in the language itself, e.g.

        magt "you can"
        *magan "to be able"

        Enough is known about the language to be fairly sure about almost all
        of these reconstructed infinitives.

        LN