Re: Toledo

  • raul catalan ramos
    Message 1 of 53 , Jul 4 12:52 PM
      I have "argued" about this point with my friends several times.From my point
      of view, according to the number of words inherited from east germanic, it
      is very unlikely the employ of gothic by goths in Hispania, becasuse most of
      germanic words in nowadays spanish is limited to only a handful examples (as
      "guerra" (written "Werra" in the ancient sources , meaning "war") or
      "bosque" meaning "forest", both of them nearby the same as the italian words
      for war, "guerra", and forest,"bosco"). On the other hand, the lack of
      written sources in gothic can't be used to deny the employ of gothic among
      goths in hispania, because the written sources from this period are closely
      related to the highest elites of society, whose focus was the roman (and
      then bizantine) culture and the employ of Latin. I agree with the idea that
      gothic vanished in a few generations, but I think that it must endured for
      some time in rural areas far from the cities.

      Descubre la descarga digital con MSN Music. Más de un millón de canciones.
      http://music.msn.es/
    • Michael Erwin
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 22 4:52 PM
        Hails,

        I'm afraid your email formatting is screwed up and I can't reply
        below. The map shows dense concentrations of Germanic place-names in
        the far northwest, i.e. the Swabisk area, a local concentration in
        northern Catalonia, and few elsewhere. I think this shows that they
        are better at identifying West-Germanic place-names than East-
        Germanic ones, and nothing else.

        Mike