Re: Imperative of type VI verbs

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2007
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "gutdwala" <gutdwala@...> wrote:

      > Hails,
      >
      > Does anyone know what the imperative of verbs like 'fraihnan' and
      > 'frathjan' would have been? Verbix gives them as 'fraihn' and
      > 'frathj', but I'm sure it would be 'frathei', or perhaps just
      > 'frath'? Maybe 'fraih'?

      You are right to be suspicious of Verbix. The imperatives of these
      two are 'fraihn' and 'frathei'.

      hvis mik fraihnis? fraihn þans hausjandans hva rodidedjau du im; sai,
      þai witun þatei qaþ ik. (J 18:21).

      fraþei þatei qiþa; gibiþ auk þus frauja fraþi us allaim. (II Tim 2:7).

      'fraihnan' is actually a Class V verb, with the irregularity that -n-
      appears in the present tense only, thus fraihnan: frah, frehum, fraihans.

      'frathjan', and the other Class VI verbs with infinitives that end in
      in -jan, are conjugated in the present tense like Weak Class 1 verbs
      such as 'nasjan'.

      LN