Imperative of type VI verbs

  • gutdwala
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3 10:54 PM
      Hails,

      Does anyone know what the imperative of verbs like 'fraihnan' and
      'frathjan' would have been? Verbix gives them as 'fraihn' and
      'frathj', but I'm sure it would be 'frathei', or perhaps just
      'frath'? Maybe 'fraih'?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 11:28 PM
        --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "gutdwala" <gutdwala@...> wrote:

        > Hails,
        >
        > Does anyone know what the imperative of verbs like 'fraihnan' and
        > 'frathjan' would have been? Verbix gives them as 'fraihn' and
        > 'frathj', but I'm sure it would be 'frathei', or perhaps just
        > 'frath'? Maybe 'fraih'?

        You are right to be suspicious of Verbix. The imperatives of these
        two are 'fraihn' and 'frathei'.

        hvis mik fraihnis? fraihn þans hausjandans hva rodidedjau du im; sai,
        þai witun þatei qaþ ik. (J 18:21).

        fraþei þatei qiþa; gibiþ auk þus frauja fraþi us allaim. (II Tim 2:7).

        'fraihnan' is actually a Class V verb, with the irregularity that -n-
        appears in the present tense only, thus fraihnan: frah, frehum, fraihans.

        'frathjan', and the other Class VI verbs with infinitives that end in
        in -jan, are conjugated in the present tense like Weak Class 1 verbs
        such as 'nasjan'.

        LN