Re: [gothic-l] Re: Toledo

  • Michael Erwin
    Message 1 of 53 , Jul 3, 2007
      To answer one possible objection, the use of Latin for religious
      purposes may have sped the switch from Norse to French on the
      continent, but it didn't stop the switch from French to English in
      England, so the use of Gothic for some religious purposes, often
      alongside Latin, may not have sopped a switch from Gothic to Latin.

      Mike

      On Jul 2, 2007, at 10:13 PM, macmaster@... wrote:
      > How long did it take Norse to die out among the Normans?
      > Certainly less than a century (from 911 settlement to no later than
      > the
      > first quarter of the eleventh). However, the Normans continued to
      > have a
      > consciousness as a people of Scandinavian descent for at least two
      > centuries after that.
      > I'd suspect a similar process amongst the Gothic rulers of Spain &
      > Italy.
      >
      > TM

    • Michael Erwin
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 22, 2007
        Hails,

        I'm afraid your email formatting is screwed up and I can't reply
        below. The map shows dense concentrations of Germanic place-names in
        the far northwest, i.e. the Swabisk area, a local concentration in
        northern Catalonia, and few elsewhere. I think this shows that they
        are better at identifying West-Germanic place-names than East-
        Germanic ones, and nothing else.

        Mike