Re: can someone correct my grammar

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007
      Interesting, I hadn't noticed that.

      gibandins fraweit = DIDONTWS EKDIKHSIN = dantis vindictam
      fraweit usgiband = DIKHN TISOUSIN = poenas dabunt

      Can we generalise to swearing an oath (giving one's word) and repaying
      that promise, enduring the consequences? Possibly... Another of the
      great maybes of Gothic grammar! On the other hand, 'fragildan' and
      'usgildan' are both used (interchangeably?) with the sense of
      inflicting vengeance, and no attestation of the simplex *gildan: mis
      fraweit leitaidau, ik fragilda, qiþiþ frauja. (R 12:19 = ANTAPODWSW);
      saihviþ ibai hvas ubil und ubilamma hvamma usgildai (I Thess 5:15 =
      APODWi).

      LN