Toledo

  • Lombard
    Message 1 of 53 , May 29, 2007
      Could Tulaytula (Ṭulayṭula, طليطلة), the Arabic form of Toledo, have been derived from *Tôlêtula", a Gothic hypocorism of *Tôlêtô < Latin Tôlêtum? Perhaps *Taúlêtô should be regarded as the Gothic etymon (long unstressed "ô" having merged in Vulgar Latin with short /o/, and seeing that Arabic uses a short "u" preceded by an emphatic t [ṭ], in order to reproduce an "o"; long "ê" is given as "ay" [= "ê" in spoken Arabic]), which would give *Taúlêtula.

    • Michael Erwin
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 22, 2007
        Hails,

        I'm afraid your email formatting is screwed up and I can't reply
        below. The map shows dense concentrations of Germanic place-names in
        the far northwest, i.e. the Swabisk area, a local concentration in
        northern Catalonia, and few elsewhere. I think this shows that they
        are better at identifying West-Germanic place-names than East-
        Germanic ones, and nothing else.

        Mike