Re: A word idea

  • ualarauans
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2007
      --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts@...> wrote:

      > --- In gothic-l@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm not sure
      > > if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix.
      >
      > is this suffix a diminutive suffix?

      I guess so. At least it seems to have been used in pet names
      alongside with –il- which is surely diminutive, cf. *Hildiko F. in
      Getica, also *Gibika M. (atta Gunþiharjis, Geislaharjis jah
      Gudameris, kindine Baurgundjos, þaiei afar imma haihaitun jah
      Gibikuggos), ON Bjarki = Go. *Bairika M. "little bear". There must
      be more examples probably...

      > What I would argue with a
      > > little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
      > > not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
      > > borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
      > > Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.
      >
      > I guessed so too, and I thought it couldve been a loan...maybe from
      > gothic?

      Or it could be cognate to Latin –icus and Greek –ikos? I don't know,
      though.

      Ualarauans